Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. My SLK320 has been sitting the the garage for a while and the battery went low. I took it off and re-charged, put it back, car fired up great. Drove it out of the garage, put it in park. Went back a few minutes later, started ok, but I could not get it out of park. Any suggestions please.

·
Minion
5,602 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stuck gear selector

Hi people. Many thanks for you help. All else fails, read the manual. Should have gone there first, but it's a blokey thing, we don't like admitting defeat and referring to the manual. Sounds like getting under the dash is a bundle of laughs. Time for the back to be put out of place. Got small grandsons, could consider getting one of them inside. Fingers crossed then. Presume the low battery was nothing to do with it?

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Never presume anything. We've had folks with batteries that were a year or two old that replacing it caused all the problems to go away.

Follow the KISS rule.. keep it simple stupid. Before you to changing out parts [the locking in park for me meant the break switch was bad-hence my replacement] see if a battery disconnect for 30 minutes fixed your problem. If it doesn't, I would move forward with the break switch replacement.

There is one clip of wires connected to the brake switch that is very easy to disconnect [may be 2 sets .. can't remember] and it gets twisted out but you'll have to do it by feel. I would be afraid the kids would yank it out. Twisting it back in seems simple enough but I ran into a little trouble getting the new one back in. Getting it out is easy once you get your hands under there.

I had to use 4 seat cushions to provide some kind of back support while under there. Use your phone to find the sucker first, then you'll have a plan of attack if you don't plan on taking the 2 pieces of dash out.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
170's are pretty robust electronically so probably not the battery, just a coincidence. But if you have the time, disconnect the battery for 30mins, reconnect and see if it works. That said, if it is starting to act up, it may work till you really need to go somewhere...and then go on the fritz again.

Mods - kinda wondering if Chick's fix-it description is getting a bit racy?!? (wink)

...and Chick...it's a BRAKE switch... not a break switch (which starts and stops your coffee break????)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's your brake switch-its not an easy part to get to because it's located under your dash, but it's cheap and you can replace it yourself.

I had to remove the bottom cover under the dash and use the reverse camera view on my iphone to find it while on my back under the wheel. If you're familiar with taking apart the dash, it will be even easier for you.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170-slk-class/1327943-asr-acceleration-slip-regulation.html#post2952204
For some strange reason, went back to car after about 12 hours, gear selection ok. Back today, stuck in park. Released as per advice & info in manual. All brake lights work ok. Is it still the stop light switch - how can I test it? Should I simply replace it.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
I'm not sure about the switch on the 170, but some brake light switches actually have two stages/functions. The first is the brake lights, and activate with very little travel; the second is the release for the transmission - so it is possible that the brake lights work and the release function is going wrong.

Have you tried reapplying the brake a few times to see if it allows you to shift out of park?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Stuck in park

Tried brakes on and off lots of times, still no good. Lets get bent doubel and replace the switch then. Probably get stuck burried under the lower dash.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.