Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Complete with latest US maps, conversion cable inc bluetooth antenna and GPS aerial.

Only issue is a small scratch on the screen.

This unit comes with everything needed to swap out an audio 20 and just bolt this in.

I have not decided to definitely do this, so am asking people to let me know if this would be of interest to them.

Price is $2500 for this unit.

If this is even of interest to you, can you post to indicate if I should look into finding more.

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:tu:For a complete factory system upgrade, fairly simple DIY install, you couldn't make it easier. Sounds like a fair deal and it's tempting. However, my SLK 55 is a 2005 and chances are I'll replace the entire car within two years for the latest technology.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
3,054 Posts
just an honest opinion, although it sounds like a fair deal for OEM, the type of person who would do the conversion would most likely end up just going for a fully custom system for that price. (for all new parts too, without the scratch).

my budget for something like this would be around $1000.

·
Registered
155 Posts
just an honest opinion, although it sounds like a fair deal for OEM, the type of person who would do the conversion would most likely end up just going for a fully custom system for that price. (for all new parts too, without the scratch).

my budget for something like this would be around $1000.

yeah, I really want athe NTG2.5 but I think my ceiling would be about $1000 also.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback.

I think at $1000 you are dreaming, but I appreciate the comments.

Cyberdrakon, do you not think there are those who buy mercedes who don't want the ricer look, and would rather have the best functionalality available whilst still retaining factory integration? Not to mention the second hand value going up whereas with aftermarket you lose all integration and reduce the value.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello Adamantium,
I am new to the forum & new slk owner,will this ntg 2.5 unit fit & work in my 2006 SLK280,US version vehicle,if so will you except $1800.00 for the unit?

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it certainly would, but as for the offer am afraid it isnot worth me selling at that price, I'd rather hang on to it.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
You know that in just a couple of years its going to be completely worthless. Technology is a fickle bitch.
It's more than just the head - I'll remind you of that when the R172's come out! :) Seriously - everything you buy is gonna age. Personally, I like the fact that I can add a NTG2.5 head and update the look and feel of my SLK and keep the full factory integration.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello Adamantium,I am still interested in your comand ntg 2.5 unit,I would like to see pictures & part# of the unit,then we can move on to the purchase
Thank You in Advance

·
3,054 Posts
Thanks for the feedback.

I think at $1000 you are dreaming, but I appreciate the comments.

Cyberdrakon, do you not think there are those who buy mercedes who don't want the ricer look, and would rather have the best functionalality available whilst still retaining factory integration? Not to mention the second hand value going up whereas with aftermarket you lose all integration and reduce the value.
Aftermarket doesn't neccesarily mean 'ricer' there are some very nice custom units out there that have nearly full integration. (status updates, steering wheel controls). It's all about the installer, there are many out there that would make the MBZ system look like the aftermarket in comparison.

Second hand value generally would not go up enough to recover even 15% of this system. In CA at least, a good enough install would be price competitive with MB's stock system in the used market.

I know $1000 is impossible, that's why i said 'my budget' and not 'my offer'.

PS, in the US, the SLK is MUCH cheaper, and most people would just replace the whole car with a newer generation rather than spend that much on updating individual parts.

·
3,054 Posts
for comparison look at:
Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT
JVC KW-NX7000

scrape off the branding and show them to a non-car person and most would choose either of those over the NTG 2.5, and then tell them either of those cost about $1000 installed...

There's a very narrow band of people who know enough about MBs to care about the NTG 2.5, and still want it. Of course i know about eclectic tastes and niche markets....look at my car!

Anyhow, good luck with the sale, i'm sure if you wait long enough, someone will buy it from you.

·
Registered
600 Posts
It's more than just the head - I'll remind you of that when the R172's come out! :) Seriously - everything you buy is gonna age. Personally, I like the fact that I can add a NTG2.5 head and update the look and feel of my SLK and keep the full factory integration.
Well that's exactly my point. I would rather sell it now and have the cash and do something with it than leave it there to gather dust and depreciate risking it to break down. I understand Adamantium's point of view, but I'm more of a cut your losses kind of guy.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Yeah, I guess I'm more of an "enjoy it now" sorta guy. I just *hope* I fall in love with the R172's, cause I'd hate to have missed the chance to get a R171 '55 in the states built exactly as I want it!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Yeah, I guess I'm more of an "enjoy it now" sorta guy. I just *hope* I fall in love with the R172's, cause I'd hate to have missed the chance to get a R171 '55 in the states built exactly as I want it!
If we are specific to the case of the radio I don't if he's using it right now or not.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.