Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've installed a 3 pod gauge cluster which gives me voltage, water temp and rmp...Problem is I can't locate a wire with signal for RMP's and am unsure about tapping into the coolant temp switch for signal. Any ideas where I can find speedometer signal, "wire location and color" ? The A 1 from the factory radio does not seem to emit a signal or perhaps I didn't make a good connection when I tried it. I have this setup in my 99 TransAm and I sort of like it so I wanted to do the same in my slk. Overkill, yes but I like the look!

Attachments

·
Registered 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
3,442 Posts
You might have a little problem with your data source. Coolant temperature and rpm is sourced from the engine control module. I don’t know if there is a raw data source for those values.

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
I've installed a 3 pod gauge cluster which gives me voltage, water temp and rmp...Problem is I can't locate a wire with signal for RMP's and am unsure about tapping into the coolant temp switch for signal. Any ideas where I can find speedometer signal, "wire location and color" ? The A 1 from the factory radio does not seem to emit a signal or perhaps I didn't make a good connection when I tried it. I have this setup in my 99 TransAm and I sort of like it so I wanted to do the same in my slk. Overkill, yes but I like the look!
I like the pillar pods, but wiring them in is too much of a pain for me >:D

On mine, i've got a bluetooth OBDII reader that sends info to my phone (android) and I have an app called TrackAddict that displays the info (as well as using the phone's sensors for g-force etc). TrackAddict will also record video and overlay the info onto the video.

So, what I was thinking, is stick with the pods idea, but instead have them pick up the signal from the bluetooth reader and display the info in an LED display, so from the outside they'd look the same as your pods, but no need to wire them in, other than for power.

You can buy off the shelf Heads Up Displays that connect via bluetooth to OBDII pretty cheap (I've seen some for £30, so about $50ish) but I do like the pods. I'll ask my electronics friend nicely if he fancies building something,

Dez

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK 5.4 M113
1,433 Posts
RPM, Oil, and coolant temp is through the ECU and transmitted via CAN (C-line (green & green/white wires)). I know this because the only link I can find between the ECU and gauge cluster is those 2 wires. (working on ME2.8 swap kits right now)

You could do a couple of things:
1. use the OBDII port like Devilman said
2. create your own source. You can tap into the coolant line going into the firewall for your temp sensor and you can go to the alternator direct for voltage. RPM is the tough one unless there is some way to tap into a coil wire like you would with an aftermarket tach.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, added Dewhel Aluminum Red Water Temp Meter Temperature Gauge Joint Sensor Adapter with clamps, 34mm. Thought long and hard about cutting the upper hose due to the fact that it's so darn expensive to replace but as you can see, I did it anyway! In the process of installing the adapter I broke the plastic clamp which holds the hose directly in front of the oil filter housing. That's the reason for all the extra padding; to keep the hose from rubbing against the bare aluminium housing...only until I can find a replacement plastic clamp to hold the hose securely in front of the filter house. The shiny new flex tube running off to the passenger side of the car contains one single wire that goes directly to the coolant temp gauge. The other wire, "ground wire" runs to the driver side ground post. Works like a charm! Easy install. Now, more research and eventually I'll discover how to tap into an RPM signal, no rush!!!

Oh yeah... took a chance on tinting my own windows, didn't come out so great but I needed the experience. I'll have a do-over later but it'll ride for now; before tint and after tint...only 30 bucks for all the stuff from amazon, 20% until the cop's tell me different.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts