Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
*Registered
2015 SLK350
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to put the car in hibernation mode for the winter. I have a couple of questions I am hoping someone can help me with. Firstly, I am planning on putting a gas stabilizer in my fuel tank over the winter. Anyone see any issues with using one of these products?

Secondly, I plan on leaving a trickle charger on the battery during my time away from home. This will be for a period of 4 months. Is this to long a period to have the charger attached to the battery? Should I consider removing the battery? If I remove the battery will there be issues for me in the Spring?

Any input would be appreciated.

·
* Administrator (Premium Member)
37,883 Posts
My bike is on permanent charge. Never done any harm.
Not tried with the SLK though.

A lot depends on the quality of the charger. Do your research as price is no judge.

An alternative to using a stabilizer might be to run the fuel low (not empty as this can draw sediment into the fuel line) and then
use one of the fuel improvers on your first fill out of hibernation. There's plenty of previous threads on that.

4 months isn't that long. There are fuel stations that in remote locations that go a month or two before fresh fuel arrives.
The major refiners already put stabilizers in to allow for this.

·
*Premium Member
2008 SLK350
3,245 Posts
Trickle charger is no problem.
Got mine on a CTEK MXS 5.0, paid some 75 euro for it.
Not cheap but CTEK is the supplier of OEM-branded chargers for Ferrari, Aston Martin, Bentley, Mercedes etc.
Only difference is the Ferrari sticker and $400........

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
220 Posts
Ken, Every winter I do the following, never have a problem
1-through clean and wax
2-fill tank to max and add fuel stabilizer
3-hook up to battery trickle charger. I have a Battery Tender brand. No problems, Ctex is also used by several members. I don't place charger under hood, I sit it on a bucket next to car and run cable under my car cover. There is a sticky note about running a permanent wire attachment. Very easy to do and works great.
4-inflate tires to max
5-cover car and pray for a short winter

I do take my car out 3-4 times per winter if the roads are clean and dry.
If you do start it up, it's recommended to take it for a drive to get it up to operating temp.
Hope this helps!

·
*Registered
2015 SLK350
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input, I will follow your advice regarding the placement of the charger and the other suggestions. Unfortunately, I will not be able to take the car out during the winter own decent days. The car will be in Ontario while I will be in Florida.
Thanks Again.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,901 Posts
Thanks for the input, I will follow your advice regarding the placement of the charger and the other suggestions. Unfortunately, I will not be able to take the car out during the winter own decent days. The car will be in Ontario while I will be in Florida.
Thanks Again.
you going to visit me?

·
Founding Member 2006
108,901 Posts
well there won't be a picnic in March but in October. For March/April, we will probably do a road trip of some kind.

·
Registered-sold my '55
905 Posts
Well hopefully you will survive the winter in Florida along with the other Snowbirds that abandon our glorious winter wonderland for the horrible sunny south......and hopefully the car can cope in the garage and there are no fires caused by the trickle charger being left unattended for 4 months....just kidding!! and will all things being equal you can join up with us for the first road trip of 2016 when you return.

·
*Registered
2015 SLK350
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will look forward to that! I should have left out the part about traveling to Florida for the winter. I know how much people at home like to hear about Florida weather, beaches, etc over the winter (not).

·
**Registered 2009 SLK200
5,865 Posts
Fuel stabiliser never used it takes several years for petrol to go off .
Unless your storing for a very long period of time drain your fuel out .
Otherwise for a few months pointless .
It will still start .

Battery thats a diff matter . :grin:

·
*Premium Member
2019 SLC300
2,862 Posts
Fill the tank and if possible find 100% gasoline, no ethanol. If using stabilizer look for the one for ethanol. You want a battery tender and not just a plain trickle charger. A trickle charger puts out a constant charge and if battery is 100% charged it will continue to charge and can cook a battery, A battery tender will cut off when battery is 100%.

check the following for 100% gasoline.

Alaska: all gasoline is ethanol-free.
All Canada: Shell V-Power, Esso premium, MacEwen premium
Western Canada: CO-OP premium
New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, PEI: all premium grade gasoline
British Columbia: Chevron 94
Ontario: Costco 91; Canadian Tire 91; Ultramar 91

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.