Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the Las Vegas trip, I realized I needed a reliable and readable nav unit. As folks know, I don't drive with the top up so screen visibility with minimal sun reflection is important.

I picked up a Garmin Nuvi 255W and have been playing with it to determine the readability in bright sunlight. After tilting it down ~5° the sun reflection was minimal and the screen viewing is acceptable.

A couple days ago I ordered an Arkon vent mount designed for the Nuvi from overstocked.com. It cost $12 after shipping and I’ll be testing it tomorrow, but is seems like it should work fine. Opening the cup holder will provides shade if required.

I’ll probably return or sell the Nuvi 255W and get a Nuvi 755T or Nuvi 5000. The Nuvi 755T and Nuvi 5000 has route planning where you can use map quest or google map to draw the exact route (back roads) then upload it to the nav unit.

Arkon has other interesting nav mounting devices for common mfg’s…

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
I bought the Nuvi 765 recently, it's the model that Qld ambulance has chosen to use for its vehicles. I found its ability to recalculate second to none, it's really fast. I found the lane assist option a little confusing and it doesn't often get the lane information right. Apart from the lane assist I found it to be a brilliant unit.

·
Thread Hijacker
2,798 Posts
I have an older Garmin that I use in my truck, and it's for the most part superior to any factory nav that I have installed in my other cars. The Arkon mounts are neat, I appreciate the link and plan to get one...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.