Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered 2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the garage door opener is completely integrated into the rear view mirror or is there a transmitter elsewhere and the mirror just houses the buttons?

I want to fit the garage door opener to my new SLK and the mirror is a very simple swap if that is all that is required.

Thanks!

·
Registered
500 Posts
This LINK: http://www.mercupgrades.com/Integrated Garage Door Opener -article-53.html (although it specifically excludes the SLK & ML) states that the functionality is fully integrated into the mirror on other MB models, I can't imagine why they'd do it any differently on the SLK. From the article it looks like an expensive retrofit if your intending to use new parts though.

Thinking about it the key fob transmitters that come withe the door openers are pretty small these days, so it wouldn't be difficult for them to integrate the whole lot into the mirror.

As an alternative option, at least one garage door manufacturer makes a door opener that fits into the 12v socket, so it may worth checking your door manufacturers website to see what optional controls they list, it'd probably work out much cheaper.

Sorry about including the URI rather than a link above, but I'm in a hotel room typing this on my iPad and every time I try to add it as a link, Safari crashes Doh!

·
Registered 2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. I have found a dirt-cheap mirror with buttons on US eBay but according to the linked article it won't work in the UK because U.S. Garage door openers work on a different frequency to UK ones. So that's cleared that up and stymied that plan. Back to painting all the trim red!

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,454 Posts
I so want to use this feature but my building is stuck in the '80s still using proximity cards.

I curse under my breath every time I have to roll down the window when it is raining to open the garage door. And my building COA has little interest to spend money on anything garage related as few residents actually have cars being in DC. The garage is mostly used by business tenants. Sigh.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.