Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered Looking for an R172 SLK
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

Just joined forum to do research in regards of SLK.
I love this car appearance and already looking for them for quite a while but pristine SLK350 are pricey... But anyway I'd like to get this car not for a year or two but for at least 5-10 years and because of that and nature of premium cars and expenses for having them I have to research a lot. Don't want to buy a nice toy and lot of a headache +)
Anyway, if anyone can just point to problems for everyday commute and/or TCOs (I would prefer doing service by myself) I would really appreciate that.

Thanks!
 

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
Joined
·
12,476 Posts
Welcome from Canada 😄

Your radio post is available for viewing in the R172 General Discussion forum (y)
 

·
Registered Looking for an R172 SLK
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also would probably consider to go with SLK250 or newer SLC300. I don't need a lot of horse power because I prefer comfort in 95% of time and acceleration in the rest 5%. But I'm completely scared to have turbo engine. Read/Heard a lot of stories in regards of issues with them (related and unrelated to the M271 and M274) and a bit scared to get a money pit :)
 

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
Joined
·
26,182 Posts
Welcome from Wirral, England.

If you are new to forums, or the format of this forum, this may help.

Our forum rules:

Really useful links (thanks to ixions cataloguing)
The web site of slk-links Includes diy videos.
Spare parts: The web site of slk-links <<<Where to find part numbers

There's a link to R170/171/172's do it yourself threads below.
R170 DIYS:- SLK R170 class DIY
R171 DIYS:- SLK R171 Class DIY
R172 DIYS:- SLK R172 Class DIY

Some useful tips in this section for new Members and prospective owners.
The web site of slk-links

You can find your region by scrolling down the page on this link
This is where to find meets/events.

Look across the banner and you'll see three vertical dots.
Many questions answered there.
You'll also find the >>>FAQs<<<

Click the 5 horizontal lines near the banner.
Scroll down and you'll find a huge section of info.
Check out the tsbs. Lot's of fixes for MB recognised issues there.
 

·
Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
Joined
·
14,238 Posts
Hi from Florida!

Good luck and have fun shopping!
 

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
Joined
·
829 Posts
Hi and welcome from St Augustine FL.ivehad my 2012 SLK 350 for little more than 6 yrs. Other than the well documented delaminated top, I've gotten I the lower 30's mpg, and to date not had any problems. I have MB service the car, but I do Gummi the seals...our other Merc has a twin turbo 4 cy. Two years with no issues, and We get approx 37-38 mpg hwy

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
 

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK350
Joined
·
1,071 Posts
3 years in on my R172 350 and (knock on wood), have only had to replace 2 catalytic converters (right & left-side) under 30K miles. At my last service (50K), my Indy said I may have the beginning of a leak in the coolant reservoir. Going to check it out again soon... That has been it. Now with over 60K miles, and all service up to date, car remains solid on all fronts.

I have no idea of my MPG, but I drive spirited and 80-20 freeway-side roads, so it could be anywhere between 22-26 mpg. The 350 is quite powerful and smooth motor to drive daily. The 250 or 300 are pretty great cars as well... Just stay away from any red-colored ones, and your headaches will be minimal.

I will recommend MY2013 and newer for any SLK model you'd look to purchase... In MY2014, among the updates, MB swapped the white-on-black gauges on the dash to blue, which is pretty cool... Make sure to get Air Scarf, and the Lightning Package (adds Bi-Xenons) on any SLK you purchase. If you can swing one that has Magic Sky, go for it.

Go ahead and buy one and come hang around this forum. You will learn lots and have a greater driving and ownership experience with yours.

Good luck.
 

·
Registered Looking for an R172 SLK
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
have only had to replace 2 catalytic converters (right & left-side) under 30K miles. At my last service (50K), my Indy said I may have the beginning of a leak in the coolant reservoir. Going to check it out again soon...
What was the price for the parts/labor ?

Make sure to get Air Scarf, and the Lightning Package (adds Bi-Xenons) on any SLK you purchase. If you can swing one that has Magic Sky, go for it.
Got it. Thanks a lot for recommendations. I definitely wanted to get one with bi-xenon/auto-highbeam. Do you know by any chance is there a lot of difference between audio systems in SLK250/300/350 starting from MY2013 ? Just figured out that actually not all of the SLK's have an airscarf in standard trim. lol. I though that's the must :)
 

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK350
Joined
·
1,071 Posts
Both cats were replaced under CPO warranty. Cost $0
I use Indy for all my service/repairs.
50K mile service cost ~$1000 - the usual checks, replacements, etc... for a 50K mileage car.

Before committing your $$$ to any purchase, make sure to ask our Mods here for the datacard of any SLK of your interest (just need the VIN) so you can get all the options on the car before purchase.

I believe the upgraded HK audio system is part of a Premium Package (code 810) and is same system regardless if its 250, 300, 350, 43 or 55 AMG.
 

·
Premium Member 2018 SLC43
Joined
·
2,482 Posts
Welcome from just West of London, England (y)

Here in the UK a lot of R171 (2004-2011) SLK's owners would have quite happily upgraded to a R172/350, but finding one that the original owner had paid for Bi-Xenon Headlight, Air-Scaft, COMAND Sat-Nav, ect means that high spec models are few & far between here.... So ended up getting R172/55 which is a totally different finacial ball game!!
I also would probably consider to go with SLK250 or newer SLC300. I don't need a lot of horse power because I prefer comfort in 95% of time and acceleration in the rest 5%.
While I still owned My R171/350 I test drove a SLC300 and was very under whelmed by the engine & the noise, especially when I then got back into My 8 year old V6 to drive home...

My advice is own one of the last V6 SLK sports cars while You can.(y)
Stricter emissions mean that all engines will go down the Turbo route and they are a compromise:
3 years in on my R172 350 and (knock on wood), have only had to replace 2 catalytic converters (right & left-side) under 30K miles. At my last service (50K), my Indy said I may have the beginning of a leak in the coolant reservoir. Going to check it out again soon... That has been it. Now with over 60K miles, and all service up to date, car remains solid on all fronts.

I have no idea of my MPG, but I drive spirited and 80-20 freeway-side roads, so it could be anywhere between 22-26 mpg. The 350 is quite powerful and smooth motor to drive daily. The 250 or 300 are pretty great cars as well... Just stay away from any red-colored ones, and your headaches will be minimal.

I will recommend MY2013 and newer for any SLK model you'd look to purchase... In MY2014, among the updates, MB swapped the white-on-black gauges on the dash to blue, which is pretty cool... Make sure to get Air Scarf, and the Lightning Package (adds Bi-Xenons) on any SLK you purchase. If you can swing one that has Magic Sky, go for it.
As an experienced R172/350 owner, I totally agree with @b82012 above advice, but will expand:
  • Fantastic as they look, a lot of Red R172 SLK's are having ongoing paintwork blister issues...
  • If You plan to drive at night, away from the city lights, Bi-Xenon Headlights are a must:
  • The "Air-Scarf" is such a must option if You want to drive top down in less that perfect sunny conditions.
  • Un-less You live if Florida, or some other hot place, the tinted panoramic roof is just fine, because if the sun comes out, the roof gets folded into the roof(Edit: Trunk)..!!
I'm not a expert on US Spec cars, but the 3 options You may be seeing in the Head Units are listed here:
572440


I've enclosed a US Spec Guide for MY2013 that may be helpful to understand the options:
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
Joined
·
11,404 Posts
Hi and welcome to SLKWorld.com from the UK Midlands - Thanks for joining us! :)
 

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK350
Joined
·
1,071 Posts
Thanks a lot for guide and advices, I really appreciate that. Looks like 350 is the only car I should go with. So, while I'm trying to find specific trim I will search local dealerships to test drive it to figure out
Curious, what is your budget?
 

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
Joined
·
26,182 Posts
  • Un-less You live if Florida, or some other hot place, the tinted panoramic roof is just fine, because if the sun comes out, the roof gets folded into the roof..!!
Not come across the roof into roof option. Is it expensive?

Just joshing Trev (y)
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top