Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my SLK Brothers and Sisters,

Recently my 2001 R170 slk has developed some kind of minor electrical issue. The other day after leaving a restaurant at night, I noticed when I turned on the headlamps, the the lights on in the instrument cluster did not light up. Its such a small issue, but the fact that I cant see how fast I am going at night is a little annoying :confused:.

Anyways, when I got home I checked the fuses in the driver side door and noticed that fuse 11, which controls the instrument cluster light and rear license plate light was blown out. So I replaced it and when I turned the head lamps on, I could immediately hear the fuse blow out. I went through about 3 fuses, before I figured out that it must be a shortage, or electrical issue going on.

My question is what could it be? Maybe a pinched wire? I just hope it is not a major issue that involves taking apart the entire dashboard or other components just to fix :tazz:. Does anybody have any insight or maybe experience dealing with this problem? Any advice would be appreciated! :tu:

Thanks

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,360 Posts
Headlight switch issue?

·
97,360 Posts
I'm not an expert but did spend the night at Holiday Inn Express, and our resident experts will chime in when they sober up, but the light switch in addition to putting on your external lights also turns on your dash lights so I am guessing if something was wrong with the switch, like 2 wires touching in some manner, or as you said, pinched wires', they might be shorting out the fuses.

·
97,360 Posts
some google hits:

Dash lights fuse keeps blowing
So I flipped on my headlights the other night and I had no dash lights. I still had odometer, radio, and the cluster lights, as well as working gauges. I checked the panel lamp fuse (10A) and it was blown. I put a new fuse in there, flipped the lights on and it blew right away. My headlights and taillights still work. The dimmer switch, when turned all the way up or down doesn't dim the odometer, but when I flip it on all the way it does keep the interior dome light on. Any ideas on where to start looking first? I am guessing there is a short somewhere or the dimmer switch may be bad because it is not dimming the odometer.

The dimmer circuit for the cluster/dash illumination runs off the fuse that is blowing which is why the odometer will not dim. There must be a short in the wiring for the dash lights or a failed bulb in the cluster or dash that the filament is shorting out on and causing the fuse to blow.

Check your front and rear marker lamp bulbs and sockets. Might be a bad bulb.

·
97,360 Posts
no. 'they' mean the amber colored front markers on usa cars , not the blinkers

·
97,360 Posts
like this as an example of front markers

·
97,360 Posts
the experts, r170-r172 will bail me out shortly ( i hope).
I would check every bulb the light switch turns on. check your manual for all of em
license plate also.

·
97,360 Posts
like the 'radio'?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Curro,

No I haven't had anything done to the car recently, Im hoping its a bulb because now that I think about it, the bulb malfunction warning light has been on in the dashboard since I bought the car last year, however none of the external lights were actually blown out so I just ignored it.

·
97,360 Posts
again, check your manual for the location of all external bulbs that you might overlook.

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK200K
10,745 Posts
I'd start with the license plate bulb sockets / connections !

You might find that the short is in the cable loom that goes from the trunk to the trunk lid , as it has a lot of bending / folding , it is prone to the cables fraying over time ..

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,419 Posts
Turn the dash lights off and see it the fuse still blows. If dash lights are off and it blows then I think Curro101 has the answer, the wires in the boot lid has shorted out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the info guys,

I do have a blown front marker light on the right side, so I'll have it replaced and see if that fixes the problem.

However, I would hope that such a minor problem like the one mentioned above wouldn't cause a shortage in the instrument cluster, but we'll find out.

Thanks, I'll keep everyone updated!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.