Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered 2003 SLK200
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started to get a fuel smell a couple weeks ago and following comments on here picked up a new fuel filter. Was tied up with work so a neighbour who is a mechanic stuck it on for me.
He said he wasn't sure if the pump was slightly leaking around an electrical connector, and sure enough I can smell petrol.
Looks like I need to replace the pump.
looking on ebay they have cheap ones for £30 and a Bosch for £61. Euro car parts want £100.
I'm guessing avoid the super cheap ones? Bosch should be fine I guess?
Any other suggestions?
R170 200 Slk 2003
Thanks
Dave

·
Registered 1998 SLK230
33 Posts
Started to get a fuel smell a couple weeks ago and following comments on here picked up a new fuel filter. Was tied up with work so a neighbour who is a mechanic stuck it on for me.
He said he wasn't sure if the pump was slightly leaking around an electrical connector, and sure enough I can smell petrol.
Looks like I need to replace the pump.
looking on ebay they have cheap ones for £30 and a Bosch for £61. Euro car parts want £100.
I'm guessing avoid the super cheap ones? Bosch should be fine I guess?
Any other suggestions?
R170 200 Slk 2003
Thanks
Dave
Hi Dave, been looking at your issue, I would Check the rubber seal around the fuel cap as mine had the rubber deteriorated to a point where I could smell fuel I had the same problem and it was a new cap, sorted... Saved me £70 for a pump makes sense to do the obvious first bud the fuel pump doesn't really move, so give the cap a look see if rubber has splits in it then there's ya first issue sorted. Good luck Tony slk98

·
Registered 1998 SLK230
33 Posts
Hi Dave, been looking at your issue, I would Check the rubber seal around the fuel cap as mine had the rubber deteriorated to a point where I could smell fuel I had the same problem and it was a new cap, sorted... Saved me £70 for a pump makes sense to do the obvious first bud the fuel pump doesn't really move, so give the cap a look see if rubber has splits in it then there's ya first issue sorted. Good luck Tony slk98
Ps having fuel leaking from the pump around a power sorce would end up in flames... BBQ

·
Registered 2003 SLK200
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks chaps. The fuel filter did have a hole in and was replaced but he wasn't sure if there was a leak on the pump or not.
yesterday there was a smell of fuel, today nothing, did a longer run today too.
I will check around the fuel cap, thanks for that one.
Strange no smell today.
Need to do more investigating.
Dave

·
Registered 1998 SLK230
33 Posts
Thanks chaps. The fuel filter did have a hole in and was replaced but he wasn't sure if there was a leak on the pump or not.
yesterday there was a smell of fuel, today nothing, did a longer run today too.
I will check around the fuel cap, thanks for that one.
Strange no smell today.
Need to do more investigating.
Dave
Cool glad to hear that
Remember some fuellines may look OK but give a hard look to see any moisture coming from the body of fuellines itself as they have a tendency to rot from the outside in... Brought new brake lines today not as a precautions but as a necessary because the felt spongy I looked at all the obvious places and saw nothing till I got too the front brake lines looked sad and split heypresto sorted £23 the set off our favorite shopping site ebob.. Happy hunting slk98

1 - 7 of 7 Posts