Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been learning to drive the stick. This is my first car. It ran out of gas and now won't start. I tried to see if there is power at the fuel pump but it seems like there is no power to either side of the pump. Is there a fuse I should check. When I turn the key no fuel comes out of the fuel rail either.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,970 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been learning to drive the stick. This is my first car. It ran out of gas and now won't start. I tried to see if there is power at the fuel pump but it seems like there is no power to either side of the pump. Is there a fuse I should check. When I turn the key no fuel comes out of the fuel rail either.
Also the K-40f2 fuse has no power

·
Registered
336 Posts
The notorious K40 overload protection unit is a well-known cause of starting, idling, and engine stumbling problems. This unit provides voltage to the control modules and electrical components, including the fuel pump, electric air pump, and horn. When the K40 malfunctions, these components don't get their required voltage.

Troubleshooting should obviously begin with any diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs), followed by checking for blown fuses. If those lead to dead-ends, the K40 is worth scrutinizing.

The K40 relay is located in the control module box, under the hood. In left-hand-drive R170 SLKs, this box is near the exhaust manifold. A heat shield and a blower motor keep the electronics in the box cool. A non-functioning blower can be a root cause. With the ignition switched on, this fan is audible, and airflow should be felt with the control module's cover removed.

Visual inspection of the K40 might reveal a correctable flaw. Spending a few minutes under the hood can save more than $100 by not having to replace the unit. And if the K40 is bad, at least you now know how to replace it yourself.

MAKE SURE TO DISCONNECT THE BATTERY BEFORE DOING ANY ELECTRICAL WORK. IF YOU HAVE THE ORIGINAL MB RADIO YOUR RADIO MAY NEED TO BE RESET. KNOW YOUR RADIO CODE BEFORE DISCONNECTING THE BATTERY.

·
*Registered
2000 SLK200K
409 Posts
keep cranking it will start. I was out of fuel 2-3 times. it will run fine after some hesitation for a few miles.

there should not be a connection between running out of fuel and k40 problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.