Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuel Pump Electrical Fault

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  wja96 
#1 ·
So I have had my SLK 250 CDi AMG since it was registered at the end of May 2015. On Boxing Day last year after covering 1840 miles it broke down and had to be recovered by Mercedes. They tell me it was an electrical fault with the fuel pump. Is this unusual or has this been a problem for anyone else?

#2 ·
I've not heard of any issues with fuel pumps. That is VERY low mileage for a diesel though. 1900 miles in 7 months is less than 4000 miles per year. Depending on how you are using it, I could see it breaking down due to lack of use. Our CDi 250 which has been parked up for the winter since the end of October has 10,000 miles on it and it was registered on the 26th June. So roughly 500 miles per week, most of which is done in 200 mile plus journeys.

MB will just fix it under warranty anyway though, so no worries.

#3 ·
My 250 cdi was registered in December 2012, mileage now reads 16000 ie above 5000 annually, not much. Injectors are Delphi. Up to now works like clockwork with mixed city and country drives loving the occasional fast burst :) Maybe my mileage is in the lower limits a diesel engine of this sort likes. Probably more usage from your part will be of benefit, of course after MB sort out your problem under guarantee :)

#6 · (Edited)
Lol, I suppose it depends on your definition of a good run. For me, a good run is 300 miles. Mine would never do less than the 35 miles from Thetford to the centre of Norwich. To me, that's a short trip and the car actually is warmed through.

Some of the guys I work with will drive from somewhere like Long Stratton to Norwich (8 miles) and they reckon that's enough to get the car warmed up. I'm not so sure. One person in the office with a C250 CDi drives from his flat by the art school to the train station (under 1 mile) and swears he doesn't think that's too short a journey for a diesel. Personally I think that's extreme mechanical abuse but his cars are very low mileage and people queue up to buy them at the end of the lease.

Diesels make zero sense unless you're doing serious mileages to get the benefit of the fuel economy. Or your company car policy says Diesel only. The DPFs absolutely hate short trips and it'll be interesting to see what happens to cars that are used for short journeys in terms of them racking up the regen cycles and needing replacing at what seem like very low mileages. I think the DPF is replaced at 120,000 miles or 8 years which fits with the 15,000 mile per year service intervals.

I would predict a whole bunch of unhappy 'low mileage' owners complaining loudly about having to replace relatively expensive DPFs at what seem like fairly low use. I think that DPFs will have to fall in price though like catalytic convertors did otherwise a huge number of 'banger' diesels will be uneconomic to repair. Things like the ordinary VWs, Peugeots, Fiats that will be £2500-ish at 8 years old but need a £1000 DPF simply won't be serviced to schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.