Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the cost of fuel decreases, fuel efficiency decreases (in So Cal). Anybody notice.

Example:

When fuel cost $4.75 gallon the efficiency was 25 miles a gallon. When fuel cost $2.95 gallon the efficiency is 20 miles a gallon.

Perceptions…

Before oxygenated fuel, the mileage was 17% better. I called Chevron on that point along time ago and they basically agreed.

Now, a new fuel synthetic? … lower bang for the buck again? …

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
840 Posts
Yes sir, I have noticed the same thing in Oklahoma. When gasoline is high (say, $4 per gallon), my fuel economy declines on all my different vehicles. Now, with gas at $1.50 - $1.80 (dependent on grade), I'm getting better mileage, regardless of whether I use the "up to 10% ethanol" variety or that claimed to be "100% gasoline".

·
Registered
89 Posts
That's interresting... you both claim the opposite thing. Tslick says that the cost of fuel decreases along side efficiency, and dolebludger says that his fuel economy declines with the increased cost of gasoline....

·
Registered
840 Posts
Sorry, I misunderstood the OP. I guess my experience is different from Tslick's and not the same. Let me clarify. Here in Oklahoma, it is my observation that when gas becomes in short supply and therefore high priced, my mpgs decrease on all my vehicles. It has been my conclusion that the more scarce gas becomes, the crappier it gets. But perhaps in California where Tslick lives the opposite is true. Perhaps , the cheaper gas gets, the more the refineries try to maximize profits by reductions in quality. Oklahoma and California get their gasoline from different refineries. That's the difference.

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230
2,624 Posts
... but I notice the cheaper the gas the heavier my foot. :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:
That was my thought as well, and have experienced it more than a few times these past couple of weeks. It's been giving me more of an excuse to leave later for work!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.