Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the weekend I finally managed to fit a pair of cameras to my car which I bought several weeks ago. I decided I would like to use two cameras since the Pioneer head unit I recently installed has dual camera inputs.

Although not too concerned about the rear I have always been cautious about the front end when parking even though the parktronic sensors are pretty good, they can miss things, such as high curbs.

I am pleased with the results and thought I'd share a couple of pics for those that may be interested in doing something similar. I know there a quite a few rear camera threads on here but I've not seen much about front facing ones! For the front one I've used a wireless video sender which came with one of the cameras and have been satisfied with the picture quality so far.

Attachments

·
Fanatical Member-sold-->2010 SLK300
3,422 Posts
Looks great! Something I have always wanted to do.

·
Registered Still SLK-less. Maybe one day ...
607 Posts
Looks great. Will be interested to hear how you get on with the front camera as seems a really good idea.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Looks good. Really would like to get this sorted on my car, at least the rear view one!

·
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks great. Will be interested to hear how you get on with the front camera as seems a really good idea.
Already really pleased with the front one especially. I used to find that the even when the sensors were screaming and showing red lights there was still plenty of room between the car and obstacles on getting out to check. Being able to visually confirm means I can safely go much closer than I dared to before, which will help in the tightest of parking situations. I quite like having the front view on while driving around too.

Same with the rear cam too although the short rear end is obviously much easier to judge. I have heard of friends in other cars reversing into 'stealth' bollards, curbs and the like which their parking sensors have somehow missed!

Both cameras are also very discreet and easy to miss unless you are really looking for them, having a black car really helps in this respect. :smile:

·
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi All

@Col are the two cameras on all the time when driving ??

Cheers

Andy
Hi Andy,

The front camera is powered on ignition so is always on and the rear camera is powered only when in reverse gear via the reverse light circuit. The head unit has facility to switch between cameras but this would require an alternate power source for the rear one to work when not in reverse. I may change this later but happy for now. Have you got any cameras on your car?

·
Registered 2013 SLK200
641 Posts
Nice job. Agree with you about screaming sensors, still plenty of room even on red. The only camera I have is a front facing one on the windsheild in case of morons on the road, plenty of them over here.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,758 Posts
Hi All

@ Col. I have a hawk 720p dash cam nice & small hard wired in with a 32gb sd card loaded , I can review files on my Alpine head unit if needed , I would love the rear camera & the low down front cam just to help with parking , I did run over a kerb at the front on my first drive in the 55 when picking it up & split the lower bumper , so I know they are a good investment.

Cheers

Andy

·
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi All

@ Col. I have a hawk 720p dash cam nice & small hard wired in with a 32gb sd card loaded , I can review files on my Alpine head unit if needed , I would love the rear camera & the low down front cam just to help with parking , I did run over a kerb at the front on my first drive in the 55 when picking it up & split the lower bumper , so I know they are a good investment.

Cheers

Andy
When I had my front end re sprayed earlier this year there was lots of damage to the bumper from previous keepers mishaps! All sorted now but that was my main reason for a front low level cam. Got a very cheap and cheerful 2 way dash cam myself. Mounted it on top of the rear centre console to record in both directions.

·
* Premium Member 2008 SLK280
393 Posts
Got a very cheap and cheerful 2 way dash cam myself. Mounted it on top of the rear centre console to record in both directions.

Interesting ... never thought of putting one there. What is the forward view like from there? How close to an obstacle in front before you lose sight of it?

And yeh, front cam is nice .. my spoiler was cracked when I got it!

·
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Excellent Job sir.

Rick.
Cheers!
Would you have the schematics to understand where you ran the cables to support the rear camera connection?

I don't have anything schematic wise. There are threads on here already which you find helpful when routing the cables if you decide to take it on. I routed my video cable for the rear camera under the carpet through the passenger footwell, along the sill, then up the aft bulkhead, then through an existing hole in it just under the seat belt reel and through to the left side of the boot (trunk). I then routed it behind the left side trim panel and plug into a 4 way harness supplied with the camera. The 4 connections are video output, this is where I plugged my video cable from the head unit into, positive an ground to power the camera which I connected into the reverse lamp circuit and a connector on the other end which plugs into a mating connector on the camera wiring. The car side wiring was ran onto the arm of the boot/trunk where the oem wiring goes allowing the boot to swing both ways without straining the cables. The wiring from the camera was passed through the boot lid where the existing wiring passes and egresses through a grommet above the boot arm mentioned above. The carside harness and the camera harness connect together on the boot arm.

Interesting ... never thought of putting one there. What is the forward view like from there? How close to an obstacle in front before you lose sight of it?

And yeh, front cam is nice .. my spoiler was cracked when I got it!
The dash cam mouted here is at about eye level so visibility is similar the view from the drivers seat. You also get a full cockpit view and can see the occupants enjoying the ride! I'll see if I can take a picture later

·
Registered 2009 SLK350
417 Posts
For the front one I've used a wireless video sender which came with one of the cameras and have been satisfied with the picture quality so far.
I see you've had this for about a year now, how has it held up so far?

·
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes it still works as well as it did when I first installed it. Thinking of installing one yourself?

·
Registered 2009 SLK350
417 Posts
Yes I think it would be a great mod.
I too park somewhat far away to save the front end.
Pioneer unit you said you have?

·
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes I think it's model number is different for US market 8000NEX maybe the closest thing to what I have installed

·
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks great. Can you tell me where you got the cameras from? I've already got the same head unit

Thanks.
The cameras are nothing special both were bought from Ebay. This was over a year ago and both have been reliable. Sorry I don't have more details to hand but a quick Ebay search will return lots of results.

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK230
569 Posts
You can get wireless cameras , they only need a power supply, from your reverse light, saves on cableing front to rear , you just plug a receiver in to your input on the head unit

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.