Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered 2007 SLK55 AMG
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a 2007 SLK 55 with 38,000 miles. I purchased it a year ago with 32,000 miles. It has Michelin Pilot Sport tires in original size (front and rear). I don't know how many miles are on the front tires but they still have about 1/16" of tread above the wear indicators. Yesterday while changing the oil I noticed that the insides of the front tires are severely worn (tire cord showing in one place). The car drives great, does anyone know if this is typical?

The Carfax report shows several alignments a few years ago.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,389 Posts

·
Registered 2014 SLK250
1,000 Posts
Such wear is not normal if car is exactly to manufacturer's specs. Causes:
1. Poor alignment.
2. If the tread is 'feathered' as well to the outside, then alignment and suspension bushings.
3. If you have spacers, the camber is accentuated and inner wear is - to an extent - normal. But still check alignment.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
Having the same problem on my 06...on relatively new Yokos... I'll have it aligned after spring thaw (and hope to swap them right to left; cheap pilot/scot/irish).

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Hi. I have a 2007 SLK 55 with 38,000 miles. I purchased it a year ago with 32,000 miles. It has Michelin Pilot Sport tires in original size (front and rear). I don't know how many miles are on the front tires but they still have about 1/16" of tread above the wear indicators. Yesterday while changing the oil I noticed that the insides of the front tires are severely worn (tire cord showing in one place). The car drives great, does anyone know if this is typical?

The Carfax report shows several alignments a few years ago.
Not unheard of, and not necessarily related to alignment issues. It's about the OEM camber.

There is an old thread on this IIRC: http://www.slkworld.com/tires-wheels-brakes-suspension/13886-check-your-tires-esp-inner-side-walls.html

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all for the very timely replies! The attachment from etyu was especially helpful. So... If the root of the problem is the negative camber specification from AMG I would expect all SLK 55 owners to have this problem, but apparently some owners (J Banks) have resolved it with a re-alignment. Did you request a reduction in negative camber?

·
98,389 Posts
me? nope. it passed the test after the alignment and I got to buy 2 new front tires.

·
19,407 Posts
The lesson I learned here is to check not only the tread wear on the tyres but also visually inspect the inner and outer side walls for damage, front and rear tyres, probably at least once a month.
Moreover, I check the tyre pressure for proper inflation every week or at least fortnightly.
This is important not only for safety but helps get the best mpg.

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So are you now getting even tread wear? I am meticulous with maintaining proper tire pressure. However I suspect that the wear on the inside of the tires may have been substantial prior to my purchase of the car. Maybe the previous owner did not watch the tire pressure!

·
98,389 Posts
me? yes!......
(use the quote button under anyone's or my post so i/we know who you are directing the questions to) :D
I also, like Dr Eddy, check my pressure weekly.

·
19,407 Posts
So are you now getting even tread wear? I am meticulous with maintaining proper tire pressure. However I suspect that the wear on the inside of the tires may have been substantial prior to my purchase of the car. Maybe the previous owner did not watch the tire pressure!
Yes.

I think my fault was trying to "stretch" the interval between tyre change on the fronts as they were the OEM Pirellis. I haven't noticed the same thing reoccur with other tyre manufacturers I've used since: Yokohama S. Drive, Goodyear F1 Aymmetrics, and Michelin Pilot Super Sport.

I change the tyres when they are around 3/32 in tread wear and so far I like the Michelin Pilot Super Sports the best, in terms of tread life, noise and handling. (personal preference, others may disagree)

·
19,407 Posts
me? yes!......
(use the quote button under anyone's or my post so i/we know who you are directing the questions to) :D
You should check both tyre and blood pressure weekly and keep a log of the numbers :grin::grin::grin::grin:

Reactions: jbanks15

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
me? yes!......
I'm learning! Yes, I was asking you if your problem was eliminated after the alignment. Thanks again for all of your help / suggestions.

·
98,389 Posts
my problem was cord showing through tire :D
that was the 1st wheel alignment

I needed another one the following year. But my last name is Banks so I can handle it. No bad tires this time.

·
98,389 Posts
daily? it says weekly :D
i detail daily among other things

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm getting a 4 wheel alignment December 22. I'm going to show them the tires and see what they say.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.