Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do keep an eye on my tires but do not get down on the ground and check them. Just look at them as I walk by. Today I took it into the dealer for the annual service. Turns out the far inside of the tires are worn out. You do not see it unless you get down on the ground and look at the back side of the tires and looking across the thread you will not see it. The dealer does an alignment check when you take it in for service (it is free any time you want it done). The alignment is right near center on the charts. The tires have 43k and and 4 1/2 years old. There have been post of this type of wear over the years. Kind of common on SLK. Suggest you get down on the ground and check the far inside of the front tires, you can be down the the cords and not see it just looking across the tires. The dealer said bring it back after I get new tires and they will check it again to see if there is a change with new tires.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
95,000 Posts

·
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
J Banks, like it said there have been posts over the years about this. Started to add to one of the old posts. I then decided it was time for a new one. I was surprised when the dealer showed me the back side of the tire as just looking across it from the outside you will not see this. Hope some members will see the new post and stop and check the front tires before they have a blow out.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
95,000 Posts
Just wanted some pics to accommodate your thread. Sorry if I overstepped

·
Registered 2015 SLK55 AMG
99 Posts
The tires on my SLK55 are the Continental 0350710 Conti Sport Contact 5P 235/40 ZR18 95Y, and one Mercedes dealer told me that the Continental tires sold by Mercedes are higher quality tires than the Continental tires sold by discount tire companies to the general public.

I was not happy to see that this tire had some very poor reviews because of poor mileage and excessive noise. Several people had their tires wear out at about 10,000, and several people complained about excessive noise from the tires.

According to Continental, the tire is rated for 168mph, which is below the 176-mph top-end speed for a SLK55 with a P30 package—not that most people with an SLK55 that has a P30 package do much driving above 168 mph.

Since this forum has more SLK experts than any other forum I have ever used on the Internet, I would like to know if I should stay with the Continentals or switch to a different brand of tires when the Continentals on my SLK need to be replaced. I would also like to know what kind of mileage and what kind of performance other SLK drivers are getting from Continentals.

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
12,473 Posts
I've got the same issue on my non-oem conti's (inner wear on the fronts). I've got
about 20K km on them.

It seems most here recommend the Mich PS4 's (but obviously there are always differing opinions).

Next spring she gets new boots.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,174 Posts
PS4 is a compromise, there's stickier stuff.

I use PS year round without issue and am happy with wear.
20K+.

Bridgestones are cheaper, longer wearing but less grip, especially in the wet.

·
Registered 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
3,442 Posts
Try running them at a slightly higher pressure maybe 3 pounds above what you been running them at. That will move the wear from the shoulders towards the center.

·
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Since this forum has more SLK experts than any other forum I have ever used on the Internet, I would like to know if I should stay with the Continentals or switch to a different brand of tires when the Continentals on my SLK need to be replaced. I would also like to know what kind of mileage and what kind of performance other SLK drivers are getting from Continentals.
Suggest you decide on your driving style and see what tires match that. If you are to push the limits then a high performance tire is needed. If you just a laid back easy driver than an all season will work better. You need to consider if you park it doing the cold winter as high performance are not good when temps drop below 40 degrees, area with a lot of rain you need wet traction or driving in snow.

Once you decide on your needs read tire reviews, I like Tire Rack for reviews and ratings.

·
Registered 2012 SLK350
348 Posts
To all the people that noticed inside tire wear, did you find the alignment was off, or is this just a quirk of the SLK?

Previous owner put some Delinte tires on the rear which are fairly new, yesterday I stopped to get a air pressure check and tire guy said I have inside wear on the rf and a slight bulge on the lf, so I am weighing 4 new PS AS3, or cheap out with two more Delinte to get sort of a matching set.

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK200
2,023 Posts
Rears will wear out quicker so you could put the same on the front and junk all four at the same time when rears wear out.
That being said, personally I would be going for the premium tyres on the front as, from what you have said about the Delinte tyres, you'll likely be needing rears sooner rather than later.

·
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To all the people that noticed inside tire wear, did you find the alignment was off, or is this just a quirk of the SLK?

The previous owner put some Delinte tires on the rear which are fairly new, yesterday I stopped to get a air pressure check and tire guy said I have inside wear on the rf and a slight bulge on the lf, so I am weighing 4 new PS AS3, or cheap out with two more Delinte to get sort of a matching set.
It is kind of common on this model. The alignment is MD specs, there is a little negative on the camber setting for handling. The guy at the tire store suggested you might want a 0 camber to stop from this happening. I stayed with the MB spec. Just keep an eye on the tires when the get the high miles on them. Rears do wear out a lot faster, two or more new sets on the rear and then a new set on the front on my 9 years of ownership of my SLK.

·
Registered 2008 SLK280
129 Posts
To avoid this type of tire wear you could stay off the straight roads and start taking the corners faster to offset the inner wear. :)

If you set your alignment up to MB specs inner wear is going to happen. The extent of which will be tire brand/quality dependant.

From Dr Eddy's original thread from 2010 (front tires down to 2/32 and rears to 3/32)
I would never let my tires wear down to 1/16" of tread. At that wear point you risk severe hydroplaning and loss of traction on wet roads and don't even think of trying to drive on snow or ice.

I had a 4wheel alignment a couple of weeks ago and there is a noticeable negative camber (with the car sitting level the tops of all tires lean inward toward the center of the car by 5/8" measured at the wheel rim). The car runs straight and true and corners beautifully but I do expect the inner edges of the tires to wear quicker. The wear would be pronounced if there was also bit of toe out.

I have a neighbor that races a modified on oval dirt tracks and his car is set up with very exaggerated negative camber on the right and positive camber on the left.

·
Registered 2002 SLK230
6 Posts

Previous owner put some Delinte tires on the rear which are fairly new, yesterday I stopped to get a air pressure check and tire guy said I have inside wear on the rf and a slight bulge on the lf, so I am weighing 4 new PS AS3, or cheap out with two more Delinte to get sort of a matching set.
I am guessing this is a quirk of SLK. I just picked up a 2002 230SLK and while I know (er hope) the alignment is off due to pretty severe tram lining, and the drivers tire is 40% at outside edge, and below wear line on inside edge. New fronts tomorrow and alignment.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.