Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people. So I was changing the front struts on my 2007 r171 and I noticed one of the springs had broken at the end. I contacted my local Mercedes dealer to buy a replacement but he asked me a question I couldn't answer. He said "what colour paint is on the spring to indicate it's weight capacity?"
I couldn't find any paint on either spring (given that they are 12 years old and badly corroded). How will I know what springs to buy? Surely they would know from the VIN number?
Than

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,201 Posts

·
94,201 Posts
Hi people. So I was changing the front struts on my 2007 r171 and I noticed one of the springs had broken at the end. I contacted my local Mercedes dealer to buy a replacement but he asked me a question I couldn't answer. He said "what colour paint is on the spring to indicate it's weight capacity?"
I couldn't find any paint on either spring (given that they are 12 years old and badly corroded). How will I know what springs to buy? Surely they would know from the VIN number?
Than

did you check the other spring for the paint color coded on it?

·
94,201 Posts
here are all springs for your vin

maybe a part number on it? :D

Attachments

·
94,201 Posts
maybe the springs in the rear have similar markings to get you close

·
94,201 Posts
Hi jbanks. I've checked all the other springs. No colours on any of them. But they are pretty old and corroded.
did u remove the spring in question to get a good look at it? some color might be left on the side you could not see

all the color coded springs from your vin i listed will work....just a matter of 'ride'

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi jbanks. I've checked all the other springs. No colours on any of them. But they are pretty old and corroded.
did u remove the spring in question to get a good look at it? some color might be left on the side you could not see

Yes. Removed the spring to change the strut, also removed the other front spring to replace that strut but still no colour codes. That link you sent doesn't recognise my VIN -
WDB1714422F167896.
Strange?

·
94,201 Posts

Yes. Removed the spring to change the strut, also removed the other front spring to replace that strut but still no colour codes. That link you sent doesn't recognise my VIN -
WDB1714422F167896.
Strange?
no because you put in the wrong vin not 7896 but 7869 per your datacard request

https://www.slkworld.com/vehicle-data-card/440825-free-gift-data-card.html

but i gave you everything you need in my attachment above post 4

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

WDB1714422F167896.
Strange?
no because you put in the wrong vin not 7896 but 7869 per your datacard request

https://www.slkworld.com/vehicle-data-card/440825-free-gift-data-card.html

but i gave you everything you need in my attachment above post 4
Thanks Jbanks. That's why 'you da man'!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts