Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
*Registered
2007 SLK280
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a r171, only had it a week, it has parking sensors in front bumper but no display in front vent and no button to turn them off, my question is,if I buy a display for vent,will there be a plug for it and will they work ?

·
Founding Member 2006
112,741 Posts
i looked at your datacard... i do not see any reference to parking sensors.. post a pic?

·
Administrator (Canada)
22,685 Posts
THIS might provide some insight (ESPECIALLY post 10)

·
*Registered
2007 SLK280
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
interesting read , I'll have a in depth look tomorrow, just to clarify, rears work ok with beeps and display in-between seats, looks like a genuine display..
front has no display or beeps and there's no button on dash to turn em off.

·
*Registered
128 Posts
it has parking sensors in front bumper but no display in front vent
Those look like mine. They were an aftermarket fit - Steelmate - PTS400EX (DP) Dual Purpose Front Or Rear Parking Sensors – Steelmate Automotive UK

My front sensors go off all the time as they have been installed incorrectly. Instead of wiring them to the brake switch, they are hard wired constantly.

You can download the manual from that site too.

The unit for mine is behind the trim under the steering wheel.

You can buy spares, but buying a whole kit is cheaper!

·
*Registered
128 Posts
My front sensors go off all the time as they have been installed incorrectly. Instead of wiring them to the brake switch, they are hard wired constantly.
This question prompted me to question my assertion that "they are wired incorrectly" as I wondered why my wiring issue wasn't unique. The reason (as explored here Wiring into Brake switch) is that there is no 'simple' switch on the brake pedal to connect to, to activate the unit.

So plan B it is and fit a small push button switch on the dash to activate the front sensors.

·
*Registered
2007 SLK280
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
done some digging and they are after market ones, and the front is disconnected cz it's constantly going off, so case closed 😊

·
*Registered
128 Posts
done some digging and they are after market ones, and the front is disconnected cz it's constantly going off, so case closed
If you want to be able to use them, I have just fitted a switch under the driver (RHS) console next to the OBD socket to enable/disable the front sensors, because, as you say, they keep going off!

·
*Registered
2007 SLK280
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
should have clarified,going off all the time as in ,even when there is nothing in front of them, possibly permanent live,or just knackered 😟

1 - 19 of 19 Posts