Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK230K
17,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i finally got around to changing the front oil seal. Here are a couple of pictures of the old/new seal. Overall the job was simple, the hardest part was removing the crank pulley and the belts.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Well i finally got around to changing the front oil seal. Here are a couple of pictures of the old/new seal. Overall the job was simple, the hardest part was removing the crank pulley and the belts.
Livefreeordie,
Do you have the part number for this seal? And what are the symptoms indicating that it needs to be replaced?

·
17,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry i do not have the part number. I figured it was the seal after cleaning the oil pan and making sure all the pan bolts were nice and snug. What i noticed was one very small stream of oil making its way down the front of the pan directly behind the crank pulley. At this point i was either the oil pan gasket or the chain case seal, i pulled the crank pulley and got lucky when i saw it was the seal.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Sorry i do not have the part number. I figured it was the seal after cleaning the oil pan and making sure all the pan bolts were nice and snug. What i noticed was one very small stream of oil making its way down the front of the pan directly behind the crank pulley. At this point i was either the oil pan gasket or the chain case seal, i pulled the crank pulley and got lucky when i saw it was the seal.
Alright, I'll check mine when I get to change my oil =) Just want to know what to expect )

·
Registered
1 Posts
Crankshaft seal

Hi
In what way do you "hold back" the crankshaft when unscrewing the bolt?
Is the treads left or wrigth?
Blarsson,SLK 2.3-2000 Mod.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,620 Posts
Blarsson,

Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and year) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information if you haven’t already.
‘Usercp’ at the top left of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’.

You might want to post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already.

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response and only once. Be patient and a knowledgeable member will address your question.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) - capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click on the ‘paper clip’ or go to ‘advanced’ and then ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’!
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: http://www.slkworld.com/rotm-submissions-voting/

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
17,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi
In what way do you "hold back" the crankshaft when unscrewing the bolt?
Is the treads left or wrigth?
Blarsson,SLK 2.3-2000 Mod.
Welcome from New Hampshire.

I used a pry bar to hold the crank pulley in place while turning the large nut counter clock wise. If you look at the pulley there are slots in the back, slide the bar through the slot and hold against the block. This will take a few tries before you find a good secure spot that will hold without breaking anything.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Could you tell me if you found oil spot on the floor when the car was turned off (after 1 day or so) ? I'm pretty sure I have the same problem.
Thanks

·
Banned
46 Posts
2000 SLK 230 Crank seal replacement with details

In addition to the nice write up of this thread I would like to add some helpful hints and photos to make things even easier.
The bolt is 27 mm; it comes of best using an impact wrench (air or power - I have both but I started loving my battery powered better).
Extracting the balancer is very easy using an extraction tool as shown in my photo.
For the final torque adjustment, there are a couple of ways to go:
You could take the car in to your MB dealership and ask them to do the torque adjustment (they do that for free in less than two min. at our MB), you could do the pry bar against a spot on the engine method, or you could build yourself a tool to keep, out of a 2" steel pipe. I will not exclude the purchase of such tool :).
You will get to a dealership (or any shop) with the bolt tightened with the impact wrench with no problem.
Also the easiest way to "build" a tensioner tool is to place a ratcheting 8 mm wrench with the open end into a 21 mm socket, position it using a wine cork (cut) and securing with some duct tape. (Photo)
I will show photos of the engine with the old seal on only to show how dirt builds up. It is very important to clean the engine BEFORE removing the old seal!!! Please secure the opening and clean the engine carefully. I use GUNK - Original engine degreaser after that rinse with water, remove the old seal and go ahead installing the new seal. Please be very careful when installing the new seal since it is very tight (doing something wrong at this point will bring you back where you were before starting the job (will leak!!!). Use a rubber hammer and a piece of flat wood to bring the new seal to position. Clean the balancer before installing it.
I hope people will find my 2 c useful.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi there!

I have the same problem and I'm thinking to take my car to the MB dealership.
I really would like to do it but I'm a bit scared of getting in something I can not handle. Do you know of any step by step tutorial?
Many thanks and best regards from Brussels.
Ciao

Cristiano G

·
17,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't know of any step by step instructions out there, I'm sure if someone knows of any they will most likely post it for you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.