Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
*Registered
2007 SLK55 AMG
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I own a 2006 SLK amg.... warning came up that a drivers side front fog had blown. Ok, no probs... changed the bulb.... still didn't work. Changed over the passengers side bulb, still nothing....

It's the supply to the actual bulb holder. Checked the fuse location and nothing is mentioned about front fogs!

I hope it's just a fuse, but I am going a bit mad trying to find out where it is...!!!

So passengers side works, drives side doesn't!

Any ideas??!

Andrew

·
Founding Member 2006
108,830 Posts
please update your profile with 2006 when u get a chance

fuse is listed as 'electronic' for fog lamps. you checked for corrosion and no crimped wires there?

·
Founding Member 2006
108,830 Posts
the fuses are electronic so not user replaceable/checkable.

·
*Premium Member
2004 SLK200K
10,777 Posts
Looks like you may need to get it hooked up to a DAS diagnostic system, it may have something to do with the conering function, other than that, maybe manually/visually check the wiring ?

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG /2005 SLK350
6,162 Posts
The front fogs are supplied by separate +12V circuits from the Driver-side SAM (N10/1 Connector 5 Pin 1 and Connector 5 Pin 2; GNBK and GN respectively); you can test the SAM by measuring voltages between each of those two pins and Conn 2 Pin 5. If that shows +12V, ensure the RHS front fog has solid ground continuity to the ground point at the top of the shock tower.

It's not documented in the wiring diagrams which of the Driver-side SAM fuses protects these two circuits, I'd check them all.

Also, I've heard rumor these SAM are prone to arcing and burning connectors - you might want to inspect it.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,830 Posts
Hi Efair....

A novice here, what does SAM mean, and where do I find it? !!!

ahhhh , search :D

A SAM (Signal Acquisition Module) functions much as a network router does on a computer or communications network. It monitors input from various switches, controls, monitoring devices, and warning systems. When you push a button on, for example, your dashboard, the signal goes through a SAM before the device you are controlling responds. If there is something wrong with the device you are trying to operate, you will likely then get a warning, delivered through the SAM to the CAN (Controller Area Network) bus. The CAN bus will send the error message to the "error screen" you mentioned (the Multifunction Display, beneath your speedometer), or elsewhere in the instrument cluster. You may also get messages indicating normal operation, such as "car rising" when you raise it by the Airmatic system.

There are SAM units at each large fuse panel (the fuse panels are mounted on them and connect to them): The two under the hood and in the trunk. In addition, the "electronic fuses" identified in the fuse diagrams are located within the SAMs

http://www.billsden.org/fileadmin/media/mercedes/slk/docs/train_electrical_climate.pdf

·
*Registered
2007 SLK55 AMG
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks lads, I understand the principal....but how do i check the SAM in relation to the fog lamps? You mention that you place a voltmeter across the pins (i have a voltmeter...) but what part do i take out so I can check it? Its not the fuses in the engine bay, nor the relays?

A

·
*DAS/STAR Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
4,038 Posts
Ditto to the SAM check - wiring may be disconnected / broken somewhere between the SAM and the Foglight.

The downside is that the connectors are underneath the front SAM so not that easy to get to ...

The front SAM is on the drivers side in your car, opposite side to the battery but in a similar location. The lid is held on with two wire clips on the right, and a sliding plastic lug on the left ... The lid probably has an Aircon sticker on it too ...

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG /2005 SLK350
6,162 Posts
I've never had to remove mine before so I can't add much - looking at the SSM (ETM Connectors view) they're underneath/on bottom of the fuse panel therein.

·
*DAS/STAR Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
4,038 Posts
So what you're saying I have to lift this fusebox out to check the wires underneath? There is no fuse or relay on top of this SAM that needs checking?
Fraid so ..

I'd use a meter and check out the earth continuity first though, then look at the supply problem if it's not that ...

Failing that, a diags session may be in order ...

Reactions: besprak

·
Founding Member 2006
108,830 Posts
Phew!! All sorted.... a simple corroded connection at light bulb level! I had visions of stripping the entire car to bits, but alas not now!

Thanks for all your top advice !
hmmmm where did I hear that before?

Oh yes! I said

Post 2
you checked for corrosion and no crimped wires there?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.