Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 SLK280 and it sounds like the front driver side door speaker has gone bad - the larger bass one? Anyway what are the replacement options. I live in Washington DC so I searched Hertz speakers but no one is selling new product within the states. And heard these speakers are not all that great so if I am having to replace maybe a medium cost upgrade is in order. I am in no need or blasting loud sound or super bass just clean sounding speakers that can still be heard with the top down. Also I couldn't find any DIY to articles to help remove and replace these speakers.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,893 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I spoke to a Crutchfield rep and they said due to the strange OEM housing there are no direct replacements available only buying the original speaker as a replacement. Only other option is building a complete new custom housing. There has to be a speaker replacement so you can just swap out the bad speaker in the housing, seal it up, put it back in place and reinstall the door panel and away you go. Or has MB screwed us?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks WoZ53. There is no image when I click on the link but I assume its the complete housing and speakers and its a direct swap plug and play deal correct? You were able to do this yourself fairly easily?

·
California Dreamin
2006 SLK 280
13,772 Posts
Yes it's the complete assy. Hsg, two speakers and plug and play.
Hardest part is getting the door panel off, but if I was able to do it anybody can. :)

·
*DAS/STAR Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
4,038 Posts
There's loads of 'How to's' on here!!!

You can fit aftermarket drive units, but they need to be slim, and you have to fit them to the OEM housing.

Main dealer prices on the standard speakers are fairly competitive anyway, as are the prices for the Harmon Kardon one (but these need a little work to transfer over the crossover components from your current speakers and opens up another problem with different impedances ...)

For normal use, with the stock headunit most people go the main dealer OEM route for ease

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't have the stock Audio20 unit anymore. I swapped in a Kenwood DDX371 DIN system. Left stock speakers and no amps installed. Here is the audio specs on the new HU...would there still be issues with just swapping in the HK upgrade speakers with this unit? Or still some crossover issues?

Audio Maximum Power (Front&Rear) 50Wx4
Full Bandwidth Power (Front&Rear) 22Wx4
(4Ohms,14.4V,1%THD)
Preout level(V) 4V / 10kOhms
Preout impedance(Ω) =< 600 Ohms
Speaker Impedance(Ω) 4 - 8 Ohms
TONE BASS 100Hz ±8dB
MIDDLE 1kHz ±8dB
TREBLE 12.5kHz ±8dB

·
*Registered
2007 SLK280
59 Posts
I just replaced the speaker in my drivers door. After exploring all the options I went with the oem assy. The door speaker has two speakers in one hsg.
It was relatively cheap around 125.00 online.

171-820-01-02 RADIO ACCESSORIES | Genuine Mercedes-Benz OEM Parts
oh man, I wish I would have seen that. I called three dealerships in my area and got an additional 10% off the lowest one which came out to $162 each. Anyhow, I replaced both speakers last night. Just a tip based on my experience...pickup a some extra door panel fasteners too. They're very easy to break.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.