Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
*Registered
2013 SLK250
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I have a 2013 slk250. Going to install aftermarket carplay and a backup camera (not DIY, having it done). I can install a front camera too but it is very expensive because of the wiring. Any thoughts from those who added it as to whether or not it is worth it? Thank you!

·
Founding Member 2006
113,396 Posts
very worth it
1st, proof if you get in an accident.. whose fault is it?

2nd... fun! see the 'driving stories' section for racing fun

3rd... why is wiring expensive ^+1

·
Administrator (Canada)
22,999 Posts
It can be useful in the event of an accident (either proving you caused it or didn't cause it).

Define"very expensive". Mine cost ~$70 (not "built in) and is fastened to the windshield with supplied two-sided tape and plugs into the ciggy lighter.

·
*Registered
2013 SLK250
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The installer said that it was the labor cost as it needs to bypass the engine bay, a wireless camera cannot be used with the engine causing interference to wireless adaptors.

·
Founding Member 2006
113,396 Posts
The installer said that it was the labor cost as it needs to bypass the engine bay, a wireless camera cannot be used with the engine causing interference to wireless adaptors.

wrong,,, very wrong...camera is on inside of windshield or part of inside mirror

·
Founding Member 2006
113,396 Posts
that is completely different
i would learn to parallel park and just get a regular dashcam :D

·
*Registered
2013 SLK250
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
does your car already come with parking assist in the front and back bumpers?
It does. Which is why I was thinking about only doing the backup camera. I do find the parking assist does not warn me about the horizontal curb like things at the front of some parkint spots.

·
Administrator (Canada)
22,999 Posts
It does. Which is why I was thinking about only doing the backup camera. I do find the parking assist does not warn me about the horizontal curb like things at the front of some parkint spots.
Oh, so many times :rolleyes:

For that front curb, no cam will help. BUT do this: when you pull in, line up the REAR of your car with the rear of the car beside you. You'll end up about 3 feet short of that curb in front (y)

Unless you're parking beside another SLK 🤣

·
*Registered
2006 SLK55 AMG
44 Posts
soooo, if they are putting in new stereo, that most likely means they will be adding a new hands free mike up by the visor...you could have an internal go-pro dash cam up next to the review mirror and run its wire at the same time.
I did my own hands free mike install on my older SLK...it just takes a bit of time to be running wires thru dash, up side panel and inside the part where the visor is mounted...rather easy, just time consuming.

·
Founding Member 2006
113,396 Posts

·
*Registered
2013 SLK250
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh, so many times :rolleyes:

For that front curb, no cam will help. BUT do this: when you pull in, line up the REAR of your car with the rear of the car beside you. You'll end up about 3 feet short of that curb in front (y)

Unless you're parking beside another SLK 🤣
Brilliant! Thank you. Also, why did I not think of that!!

·
*Registered
2006 SLK55 AMG
44 Posts
i can relate...im thinking of getting rubber doo dad pole with flag up top so i can see when i bump it and get a handle on where exactly nose is, lmao

·
Founding Member 2006
113,396 Posts
Jeff, you do not stop driving long enough to parallel park! :cool:
As you know, in Floriduh, we never have to parallel park.... no curbs

1 - 20 of 25 Posts