Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that don't do there own maintenance and a few that do. I had my brake disks replaced (front) on my SLK350 R171 (by the main dealer) and requested to keep the old ones. They stuck them in the boot for me. Looking at them I'm amazed how big they are. They are seriously heavy as well (unsprung weight and all that). Ventilated and drilled they are a piece of work. Expensive too. Anyway simple things please simple minds - that's me. So I wanted to take a look, plus I wondered why they needed replacement given the £300+ bill. They have a distinct ridge on the inside and outside of the diameter. They are very rusty and the rear of the disks in particular are quite pitted from rust. I think they can be resurfaced down to a certain thickness but I'm happy enough they are off the car. The slight pulsing I got while braking at slow speed appears to be at regular uneven wear around the drilling. They were also very noisy. All of which is now fixed. The pads where changed at the same time - which is just good practice.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
I've always been lucky enough to be able to fit my own and its relatively easy once you get into it and there's some great threads on here to help. A quick tip though is to paint the hats as I call them prior to fitment or even once installed. That way they won't rust , I normally use silver hamerite paint and it does the job a treat 👍

1 - 2 of 2 Posts