Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered 2007 SLK200
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just put my car in for service and apparently i need to change my front brake disc after only 30,000km :( (I thought they last longer then that)

Should i go aftermarket or stick with OEM only reason I am asking is that they are asking for $1500 + labour cost for OEM... :(

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Brakes are very important specially for safety, either stick with OEM (tested & certified) by manufacturer or only from a reputable supplier. Brake dust is secondary.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If you only replace the front brakes, then I would stay with the OEM. The coefficient of friction is different for different pads. This means that the front will have more or less braking power than intended by the MB engineers. You will probably never notice it unless you really push the brakes.

D

·
0 Posts
Brakes are very important specially for safety, either stick with OEM (tested & certified) by manufacturer or only from a reputable supplier. Brake dust is secondary.
Ditto that, if it aint' broke don't fix it!

·
Registered 2007 SLK200
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When i meant by "aftermarket" im not talking about dodgy china ones :p

i was more referring to if im already going to be paying this much i might as well add an extra $$$ to get brembo BBK (or something similar).

but i heard that if you change the front is not a wise idea. (as mentioned by clemson)

So I was just wondering if that is true.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
In my SLK350, the front brakes ARE Brembo (look for their logo on inside caliper facing engine.)

After much research, unless you are on the track with the car, stick with OEM. In my case, I decided to stay with OEM even though i am tracking the car.

·
Registered 2007 SLK200
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah fair enough I have SLK350 brakes on mine.

might have to buy OEM stuff oversea as the dealer is way too exxpensive.

any recommended site?

·
Registered
331 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Can't you change them out yourself? I've done 2 vehicles in the last 3 weeks. I've never done an SLK but imagine it can be a DIY project?

·
Registered 2007 SLK200
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that could be a possibility but i need to get the parts :)

thanks for the link mrl0n3ly714

·
Registered
561 Posts
btw, what brake pads (other than oem) do you guys recommend? I'm sick and tired of cleaning the brake dust from my front wheels. When the time comes, i want to be prepared and have all my research done.

·
Registered 2007 SLK200
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wow i just check that link... why is the OEM disc from that site $126.83USD each and my dealer is charging me $1500 AUD ($1360 USD) for two....

What a rip off!!!!!

·
Registered 2007 SLK200
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
isnt the brake disc or rotor the same thing?

Americans call it Rotor instead?

·
Registered
31 Posts
At 30000 Km (19,000 US Miles), I don't think you need to replace the rotors unless it is wrapped. Both front rotors and brake pads should not cost more than us $500.
If you rotor is cross drilled type (Sport package in the USA), replacing the pads is very easy. Just need a punch to push out the upper and lower pins. Remove the spring, insert a flat screw driver between the pad and the rotor and give it a twist. Do this on both sides of the pads ( Remember to open the cap of the brake fluid reservoir prior to do the cylinder reset.
Take a used tooth brush to clean the inside dust.
Reverse the order to install the new pads.
One hour max.

Forgot you have to remove brake sensor and transfer to the new pads.

·
Registered 2007 SLK200
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
At 30000 Km (19,000 US Miles), I don't think you need to replace the rotors unless it is wrapped.
Yeah thats what I thought im gonna bring my car somewhere else for a second opinion..

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
RaiHax - the "rotor" or "disk" is part number A2034211312 if you have the '350 brakes on the car, and the MSRP is $130usd - so yeah, you need to have a second opinion on what the hell they are quoting you on. Let me know if you want the part number for the 200, but I don't have a EUR/ROW price sheet with me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am normally do not replace the front pads until the yellow light (Brake wear sensor) is on. The new brake pad is approx 6-7 mm thick, dealer will replace it when you have a about 3 mm left. Brake sensor will not contact the rotor until you have less than 2 mm.
Even at 2mm pad thickness, you can go for another 3k to 5K more (Unless you do a lot of down hill braking)

·
Registered
829 Posts
Good quality after market discs are fine and will have little affect on braking as its the pad that affects coef friction not the disc. However I doubt you need discs so either measure and inspect yourself or get someone else to do it.

·
Registered 2007 SLK200
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks guys I just got back from a different shop they said very unlikely I need to change the disc but they need to measure it to be sure.

thnx for the part number John :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.