Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello people of SLKWorld!

I am leaving on a road trip tomorrow to California! A drive totaling 3300kms or 31 hours of driving. Click here for my route rendered in Google Maps!

I am stopping in Miles City, MT and Twin Falls, ID on my way there for overnight stays. Once I arrive I will be staying with THE Steven (aka Stinger) in his lovely flat in Aptos, CA for a few days then I am heading down south to LA/SD to spend a few days with Durk!

This road trip is a colossal undertaking as I have never driven that much on my own before, but I am very excited! In preparation I have had an oil change done to my SLK and put new gear oil in it too! All the other fluids are in tip top condition.

I also have a spare liter of engine oil and my CAA (AAA) card handy just in case!

If there are any forum members that are near my overnight stays that would like to meet up I would be open to that. I am also going to be posting in (or creating) a thread for organizing a mini-meet for while I am in SoCal!

Really looking forward to this epic journey, and going "home" again! :)

Does anyone have any tips? I would love to hear them if you did.

Thanks for your time!

Regards,
Ak

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,295 Posts
Looks like a great trip. Are you taking time to take in some of sights like Yellowstone, or is this a somewhat straight shot to Calif?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like a great trip. Are you taking time to take in some of sights like Yellowstone, or is this a somewhat straight shot to Calif?
I have actually been to Yellowstone before on a past family road trip. I saw the geyser and everything, was absolutely gorgeous.

To answer your question though - yes, this is a straight shot to Cali.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,295 Posts
Are you driving solo?
Have a fun and safe trip.. I'm sure Durk will see if SoCal will do a meet up.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you driving solo?
Have a fun and safe trip.. I'm sure Durk will see if SoCal will do a meet up.
I am driving solo - just did the first 10 hours yesterday, spent the night in MT.

Durk is planning to take a day off when I am down there to show me some quality roads :biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
Well done!! I found priceline and hotwire great for finding hotels at the right price in the past...

...and if you feel fatigued, regardless of time of day, find a spot to stop, get out and walk around...seriously (and I have some experience with the fatigue biz...)

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well done!! I found priceline and hotwire great for finding hotels at the right price in the past...

...and if you feel fatigued, regardless of time of day, find a spot to stop, get out and walk around...seriously (and I have some experience with the fatigue biz...)
The drive down here went alright, some long days but thanks to my audio-books I arrived energized and relaxed.

Spent a few days at Steves place in Aptos, then went to Durk's place in Santee. Right now I am in San Mateo, just relaxing!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts