Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered sold both-> SLK350, SLK '55
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got clearance for exporting funds to complete my deal on my 55 AMG.
(Greece has a very strict capital control policy and sending money abroad is an almost impossible procedure nowadays, -the maximum weekly cash withdrawal amount from the Banks is 420 euros per person)
I thought that it would be easier as I am a foreigner in the country, but there is no exception to the law.
Anyway, all went well, so I am on my way to Germany to collect the "beast"

Its a certified 2012 AMG with all the extras I wanted and I think it looks stunning.
So here is my plan.
Plane to Germany, one night in Munich.
One day to complete the tansaction and another two to issue Zoll (export) licence with duration of one month.
This way the car will have insurance for the journey and can travel at all EU countries for one month.
Still have to figure if I will need winter tyres or not, as I plan to return through Italy and from there travel by ship to Greece (Germany to Ancona Italy is about 800km far and then you just embark on the ship, arrive at Patras Greece and within two hours you reach Athens)
Alternative route would be through Austria, Croatia, Bosnia, Servia, FYROM, and then Athens, a total of 2.500 hard kilometers through the Balkan mountains.
So my route will have a first stop at Insbruck and from there to Italy with the plan to visit Verona, Parma, Modena, Rimini and Ancona.
Alternative route could be trough the Stelvio Pass and then Brescia and Bologna but I do not feel very confident about this as the weather could ruin all my plans.
Anyways, this trip will start next Saturday and I would appreciate all advise regarding tyres (my main concern) and other tips regarding anything.
Thanks for reading.

Tapatalking

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,404 Posts
The car looks stunning, and I'm looking forward to reading more about this as you do the trip, as well as seeing the photos I'm sure you take and share with us!

I can't offer any useful advice for you, but if I had the chance to drive the Stelvio Pass in a 55, I'd have to take it! :D

·
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This was my intention but I am very afraid of the weather.
If weather is bad the main road (38) will be closed and I will have to make a detour of 230km.
Further to that the local authorities can decide to close the road for winter anytime from now on, so big risk there.

Another problem is the tyres.
I will surely install winter ones and by the time I reach Greece they will be torn apart as the climate is different in the North.
And it is a pitty as the car has almost new tyres on it that I will have to exchange with winter ones and then change them again in Italy. (I have no use for them in Greece)

So taking the "easy" route at this time of the year is not only wise but cheaper.

Tapatalking

·
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great car! I can't help with the tyre question I am afraid, and good luck with your chosen route. A similar journey would probably take me about 3 months, I can get lost with a Satnav. :grin:
Truck drivers do this in 26 hours with one stop of 6 hours plus.
I estimate it will be about one week, as I really want to enjoy the car but also spend some time with my wife (20 years this winter)

Tapatalking

·
Registered 2013 SLK55 AMG
714 Posts
Great looking car (but then, I am somewhat biased :wink:)

With regards to tyres I know there are rules of the road (laws) in Europe about winter tyres and, if not running them then can invalidate insurance so, first of all check with your insurance company

Rather jealous of your planned routes and whichever you take will be smile a minute driving experience in the 55 :grin:.

Keep it rubber side down and enjoy the ride!
>:D

·
Premium member 2001 SLK320
800 Posts
don't those clever germans insist

on giving you two sets of wheels with your Mercedes. It's a while ago I know, but I bought a C280 from a German MB dealer in 2001, and didn't know what to do with the extra wheels and winter tyres it came with. Do MB Germany still supply all MBs with a double set? If so, have them put the winters on and ship the summers to you in Greece.
If not, see if you can get some all seasons tyres like Michelin Cross-Climate, or Nokian All-weathers fitted. and/or buy some snow socks as well. and a little folding spade. and a thermos flask.:nerd:

·
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ha!
Yep. Enjoyed the trip although it was like the cannonball run (3 days total)
Thank you!

Still waiting at the customs as I will register it with temporary licence plates (green type) so as not to pay the totally obsurd taxes here. (non EU citizen)

You are well aware I guess that if someone wishes to issue permanent plates for such a car here has to pay:
16.000 euros circulation tax
9.000 VAT
1.350 per year Road Tax
4.500 per year Luxury Tax

This means 25.000 euros payable immediately and then 5.850 euros for every year you keep the car.
(and please do me a favor and verify to other members that I am not bs-ting them with these numbers)

So beacuse I can, I am issuing temporary plates in January (it is silly to pay a whole year for just 15 days) and I will be one happy man.
@thrilos81 it would be a big favor if you verified to other members that I am speaking the truth, as these tax figures are totally unbelievable.

Tapatalking

·
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was a blast!
To start with, the car sounds absolutely bloody fantastic.
There were time I just stepped on the gas just for listening to that roar.
Then, there is the torque that you feel it can spin the earth if you want to.
Finally (lets not talk about tech details and consumption, totally irrelevant) there is the feeling.
It feels like you are travelling on a magic flying carpet on steroids.
It is intoxicating.
Really is.

Tapatalking

·
Registered 2006 SLK55 AMG
105 Posts
Even a lowly economical diesel gets slammed with road use tax, etc. nowadays in Greece thanks to our new administration. So yes a 5.5L V8 is quite reasonable in relative terms to have such running costs... Let's not get into politics however and simply enjoy the magnificent car!

I am curious to see how different the R171 is from the R172 . What kind of difference do the about 40hp make?

I am currently in Greece until mid January Charlie so we can link up.

·
Registered 2006 SLK55 AMG
105 Posts
ASIDE:

Your username should be changed to Charlie55 from Charlie350 in accordance to your life decisions!

END OF ASIDE.

·
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can not compare 171/172 amg as have very small experience, but the 172 is fantastic compared to anything else ive driven in the past, except maybe a totally different beast, the 911 turbo (996)

I would love to hang out but leaving for Pakistan right before Christmas and probably spend there three or four weeks.
But would be really happy to schedule next time you visit.
Cheers!

Tapatalking

1 - 15 of 15 Posts