Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago I attempted to lower the top on my 171, but the top wouldn't budge. The boot lid would open, Windows would lower, and motor would begin working, but top still didn't move. Not only was I confused, but also worried I thought the motor must have blown or something expensive must've broken ?. The next day I tried it again same problem; top stayed put. Upon giving the roof a closer look when trying to operate it I noticed something odd. The roof would sound like it was trying to move, but it was caught on something. I thought maybe the rubber seals where dry and the heat made them sticky. So I took a stick of gummi pflege, and worked it on the rubber seals found outside of the roof. I also rubbed a bit between the area that's between the windscreen, and the roof itself. Let the car sit for a bit so the pflege can work its magic. After about 30 mins or so I gave it another try. Worked flawlessly ?. Whilst the top was coming down I could hear that indeed the rubber seals were a bit sticky. Lubed up the rest of the seals, and has worked problem free since.

Moral of story: Lube your seals to avoid the fear of having broken something expensive. Good luck

·
Founding Member 2006
108,901 Posts

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
Tip:

1. Use "John's broomstick" method to prop the roof at semi-retracted position.

2. Clean rubber seals with damp microfiber cloth first, to remove road grime and dirt collected over many weeks/months/years. Repeat several times if needed as the "dirt" is sometimes more like mud/clay and sticks almost like glue.

3. Use premium Gummi Pflege or better yet use the OEM lubricant or rubber seal oil or Krytox. The 30 ml bottle is good for 10 treatments. Allow to "cure" for 2 hours.

4. Clean and condition the rubber seals several times annually, spring (as the car comes out of hibernation) and fall (as the vehicle will be going into hibernation) are good seasons to remember.

I usually try to do this every quarter (3 months).

·
*Premium Member
2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
17,976 Posts
Gummi at the ready, I'm off to do mine just now. Thanks for reminding me guys. :smile:

·
*Premium member
2001 SLK320
816 Posts
i did mine at the weekend

and the pesky corner drains....again.

I'm using silicone grease in a tube bought from Maplins. I'm getting about 4 cars' worth per tube, as I do all the seals on all the other cars as well.>:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.