Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
*Registered
2015 SLK250 CDI
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Going to do a tour to the South of France in the SLK later in the year . Does anyone know what the situation concerning the speed warnings on the Map Pilot is . It is illegal to use the speed trap warning over there . So is it good enough to just have it switched off or should I just not bother taking it . If you are caught you loose the unit , get a fine and can even loose the car .

Thanks.
Michael.

·
*Registered
2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
Personally, I'd turn it off. And not speed.

Also, make sure you have an English language Constat d'Accord form.

Other than that, have a great time. I went to CComley's gite last summer and had a whale of a time, despite having a small crash on the way home.

There are very few convertibles in France, and even fewer SLKs. And the car definitely turned heads wherever we went.

·
Registered 2016 SLC43
314 Posts
I spend 3 months a year in France , as far as I know and what I'm told off the neighbours any speed trap warning device is illegal and will be confiscated , that said , auto routes at speed limit are fast enough , any more and you only end up stopping for more fuel !
Keep an eye out for a random kangoo , 208 , Clio abandoned at the side of the road , speed trap with 2 bikes waiting further down the road , gendarmes don't have a sense of humour so take the fine and move on if your caught !
Enjoy the holiday , give me a shout if your in the dordogne , if I'm there my fridge is always half full of cold beer !

·
* Administrator (Premium Member)
37,776 Posts
Not worth the risk.
Although generally stern they tend to be ok with you so long as all paper etc is in order and you remain polite.

Remember, tourism is an income for many. So getting a bad rep isn't their goal.

Besides, I always found the locals drop hints of traps cos they like to beat the system. Although that is on bikes.

·
*Registered
2015 SLK250 CDI
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I spend 3 months a year in France , as far as I know and what I'm told off the neighbours any speed trap warning device is illegal and will be confiscated , that said , auto routes at speed limit are fast enough , any more and you only end up stopping for more fuel !
Keep an eye out for a random kangoo , 208 , Clio abandoned at the side of the road , speed trap with 2 bikes waiting further down the road , gendarmes don't have a sense of humour so take the fine and move on if your caught !
Enjoy the holiday , give me a shout if your in the dordogne , if I'm there my fridge is always half full of cold beer !
Many thanks never know might take you up on your offer . I was only going to use it as a navigation aid . And want to enjoy the scenery so wasn't intending speeding . When I was in the car looking at the sat nav the other day, I noticed if you put Paris in it would tell you what you needed ( I think ) . So I wonder if it disables the speed camera function automatically.
Michael

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK200K
1,139 Posts
Hi,

Going to do a tour to the South of France in the SLK later in the year . Does anyone know what the situation concerning the speed warnings on the Map Pilot is . It is illegal to use the speed trap warning over there . So is it good enough to just have it switched off or should I just not bother taking it . If you are caught you loose the unit , get a fine and can even loose the car .

Thanks.
Michael.
Hi Michael..
Here in France anything that forewarns the driver of speed cameras should be switched to OFF or stashed in your car's boot (if it is dismountable). Our gendarmes are mostly very pleasant, but do not give them cause to investigate you or your car. Remember that the speed limit is just that... the limit and not the starting point ! Also, when entering villages, there will NOT usually be a speed sign. However all villages are 50kph unless otherwise stated. When you leave the village you will see the name/sign again, this time marked through with a cross.. and you can return to the national speed limit of 90kph.. unless a different speed is indicated. We often see UK drivers who obviously are unaware of these idiosyncrasies .:wink: and, of course, there is often a Gendarme waiting with a handheld...to catch the unwary :|

Personally,

There are very few convertibles in France, and even fewer SLKs. And the car definitely turned heads wherever we went.
wja96 .. can't think which part of France you reckon has few convertibles... Brits who visit us are astounded at the number and variety on our roads.... but I will grant you that the SLK is particularly pretty...:x

Stella

·
*Registered
SLK is sold
262 Posts
Interesting post we are heading down in May , just looking for a gite right now
We are currently planning a trip there this fall andhave found what appear to be two exceptional places. We will likely be staying at the Rosaraie location.

Some information from a friend of ours who travelled there recently:

www.chambres-la-roseraie.com: she speaks English, and is the one who buys the bread. about 15 minutes outside of Sarlat, near the river.

Les gites d'Armanse : Charming Guest house, cottages, Bed and Breakfast in the Black Périgord region (Dordogne Valley): 5 minutes drive from Lalinde, one of the "bastides" -- walled cities -- RIGHT on the river, just could not be a prettier more peaceful place.

Both are equal in creature comforts (between 3 and 4 star) and excellent on-site hostesses.

·
*Premium Member
2008 SLK350
3,237 Posts
As I understood it from my brother who lives in France, speedtrap warnings are indeed illegal and the fine can be as high as 1500 euro. Ouch!!
However the French wouldn't be the French if there wasn't an exception. It is allowed to be warned for a so called "dangerzone". Anywhere in that zone can be speedtrap. Minimum size is 300m within city limits, 2km on the Route National and 4 km on the Autoroute. There are navigation devices that have that option, so at least you will get some sort of warning.

·
*Registered
2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
wja96 .. can't think which part of France you reckon has few convertibles... Brits who visit us are astounded at the number and variety on our roads.... but I will grant you that the SLK is particularly pretty...:x

Stella
We had a week in Paris and the only other convertible we saw the whole week was another UK car.

We then drove down to the Auvergne and we maybe saw a couple. Of other convertibles. Plenty of people carriers, old Renaults (including the one that hit us) and a few tractors.

The U.K., in comparison, just seems to be awash with ragtops.

·
Registered 2016 SLC43
314 Posts
I drove from sarlat to the nurburing via Heilbronn last year overnight , set off around 8pm in temps of around 28 , the lowest i saw was 19 , roof down all the way until I left Heilbronn after the re map from Sacha , I never thought it would be to hot for a convertable , but at 10 in the morning it was roof up and get to the ring , it registered 44 on the outside temp gauge !

·
*Registered
2008 SL500
120 Posts
We'll be heading for the Lyon area in July to attend niece's wedding. Ferry (Brittany. sleep-over) to Roscoff, visit friends near Brest, then East- South- East via Tours, returning maybe 10 days later to Caen and back to Blighty. Love France. Took the R171 to Brittany a couple of years ago and sticking to the speed limit resulted in some magnifique mpg figures. At the time I backed up the Merc sat nav (out of date)with a TomTom (slightly less out of date) which gives warning of 'Zones of danger', but not 'Zones of Radar etc. traps'.
In my mispent youth I did the Lyon trip in a Lotus Seven, which certainly attracted attention, especially when I ran out of petrol in the Lyon equivalent of Park Lane/Broadway in the rush hour...and in a thunderstorm/monsoon!
A few years later (before I became a reformed, ancient and law-abiding petrol head) I was 'gripped' for speeding south of Rheims one Saturday late afternoon. This caused a delightful (!) and ultimately abortive time, scouring the countryside looking for a cash machine to pay the on-the-spot fine. Eventually the Gendarmerie became bored and graciously allowed me to pay with travellers cheques which they had steadfastly previously refused. I think it might have been in the region of £150, so if you do intend to adopt a laissez faire attitude to the speed limits, make sure you've got some Euros scattered about your personage.
One final thought. While the French certainly make and consume lots of alcoholic 'beverages' (as our colonial cousins are wont to utter) I believe the French drink/drive limits are now lower than the Brit. equivalents. So take care out there.

·
Registered 2000 SLK320
348 Posts
Hi,

Thanks.
Michael.
I'm heading to Vias later this year, have deleted speed cameras from TomTom have done eight trips on my bike before this just remember you are timed between pay points so drive accordingly if you want a thrash have a half an hour break at a picknic site then make up the time, speed traps are marked RADAR and the speed limit is higher than the UK but expect you to slow down if its raining, take a good map, do not travel on a Sunday its shut (France) but that is the joy of france, its different.

Regards Stuart.

·
Registered 2016 SLC43
314 Posts
We'll be heading for the Lyon area in July to attend niece's wedding. Ferry (Brittany. sleep-over) to Roscoff, visit friends near Brest, then East- South- East via Tours, returning maybe 10 days later to Caen and back to Blighty. Love France. Took the R171 to Brittany a couple of years ago and sticking to the speed limit resulted in some magnifique mpg figures. At the time I backed up the Merc sat nav (out of date)with a TomTom (slightly less out of date) which gives warning of 'Zones of danger', but not 'Zones of Radar etc. traps'.
In my mispent youth I did the Lyon trip in a Lotus Seven, which certainly attracted attention, especially when I ran out of petrol in the Lyon equivalent of Park Lane/Broadway in the rush hour...and in a thunderstorm/monsoon!
A few years later (before I became a reformed, ancient and law-abiding petrol head) I was 'gripped' for speeding south of Rheims one Saturday late afternoon. This caused a delightful (!) and ultimately abortive time, scouring the countryside looking for a cash machine to pay the on-the-spot fine. Eventually the Gendarmerie became bored and graciously allowed me to pay with travellers cheques which they had steadfastly previously refused. I think it might have been in the region of £150, so if you do intend to adopt a laissez faire attitude to the speed limits, make sure you've got some Euros scattered about your personage.
One final thought. While the French certainly make and consume lots of alcoholic 'beverages' (as our colonial cousins are wont to utter) I believe the French drink/drive limits are now lower than the Brit. equivalents. So take care out there.
Drink driving in France is a no no full stop , I don't do it anywhere , I'm of the opinion if I'm drinking I'm drinking properly and will end up drunk so cars aren't an option ! in France the cops stand on the roundabouts on main routes where there is no option but to stop , random tests and all the better for it , a Dutch friend of mine was tested 3 times in a week just as a routine , she works in a hotel so travels odd hours .

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK200K
1,139 Posts
We had a week in Paris and the only other convertible we saw the whole week was another UK car.

We then drove down to the Auvergne and we maybe saw a couple. Of other convertibles. Plenty of people carriers, old Renaults (including the one that hit us) and a few tractors.

The U.K., in comparison, just seems to be awash with ragtops.
Sorry to hear of the accident...but glad to note that you obviously survived.

re lack of ragtops...there are many possible reasons..

I know Paris was/is in the process of banning older cars....We had to get special permission for our TRs to spend a Sunday driving through and around the heart of Paris last year.... and their sleeping policemen are a real deterrent as well..

or...perhaps it was very hot and they were all hiding from the sun... or enjoying it elsewhere.

and, of course, many folk only take their ragtops out at weekends or during holidays.

Throughout France, there are so many circuits and car events right through the year, that it is difficult to choose what to do and when...it is a hard life.. but we are enjoying it...:grin::grin::grin:

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.