Mercedes SLK World banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,477 Posts
@MartinatMersea you have a similar age car to Tony, do you use ME & if so has it got all features?
At the moment I have not got my phone paired with the adapter as I have not got round to it after changing phones. In terms of features it only has what the cars telemetry can provide and doesn't cover locking, parking etc. One thing I have always done is to sever the connection ( remove the adapter from the car/disable the App) when I want to maintain my privacy and make sure there is no scope for Data to be used to invalidate eg. Warranty etc.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
At the moment I have not got my phone paired with the adapter as I have not got round to it after changing phones. In terms of features it only has what the cars telemetry can provide and doesn't cover locking, parking etc. One thing I have always done is to sever the connection ( remove the adapter from the car/disable the App) when I want to maintain my privacy and make sure there is no scope for Data to be used to invalidate eg. Warranty etc.
Hi,

I am surprised this hasn't come up before, I became aware of this around 3 years ago due in part to the nature of my Business, which involves using various Dealer Level Equipment to work with all different Marques.

You would possibly be aghast at what even a humble Workshop like mine can tell about how your Car has been driven :|

All I am prepared to add is the following, and I'll not be discussing the specifics any further :wink:

Post 2016 / 2017 Cars, (not just MB's), are all rolling Computer Networks. There are now on many vehicles, up to 360 degree Cameras, there is Radar and Satellite comms, there are Microphones for picking up your Voice, the technology has the ability to access Mobile Phone contents like Contacts Book, Web sites visited, ability to track Vehicles journeys and locations.

Various systems on your Car are monitoring G Forces, Braking Forces, Acceleration Forces, Temperatures, RPM, MPH, Fault Codes logged and a whole host of other Data.

Many manufacturers are able to collect this Data via "Cloud".

If you have an MB fitted with "Pilot Assist" and "COMAND Online", then the technology is certainly there .............

You need to make yourselves aware of the implications.

As has been said already, if you are involved in an accident it is very likely that Police, Insurers etc will be able to fairly easily get access to all relevant data, which will then either confirm you were driving sensibly, or like a [email protected]
If you have crashed it, then it will likely be the latter lol

I know of a 3rd party who had an Insurance payout refused on an almost new Car, and he was provided with evidence of roads travelled from the journey start, speed limits exceeded, etc etc on the particular trip which ended with his employee and Car upside down in a ditch :surprise:

It is a well known fact that repossession bailiffs can access and use this technology to locate Vehicles with payments defaulted etc.

There is a very good reason I sold my 2017 AMG E Class, and nope I do not wear a tin hat :grin:

HTH, Cheers Dave

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
.....and nope I do not wear a tin hat :grin:
HTH, Cheers Dave
Sorry, had to look up the "Tin Hat" phrase >:D
"Saying someone is "wearing a tin foil hat" means that they have paranoia or a belief in conspiracy theories, especially involving government surveillance or paranormal beings. Originally, the term referred to the practice of wearing headgear consisting of metal foil to block mind-reading...."

OK, so looking into the "Black Box" or "Event Data Recorders" side of modern cars, this is what a quick Google search found:

This company in the US: https://www.blackboxrecovery.com/supported-vehicles/mercedes-benz
.....for a fee starting at $1000 will pull a Data Report at the point of impact, including:
•Speed, acceleration or deceleration rates
•Braking before impact
•Occupancy arrangement and restraint usage (Must remember to stopped taking 3 passengers in My SLK..)
•Order and direction of impacts
•Pre-impact steering trend
•Impact severity

*Data varies by vehicle make, model, and year, but includes:

SLK-Class 2014-2016
SLC-Class 2017-2019
SL-Class 2014-2019

This 2014 date relates to every new vehicle sold in the US having a Black Box installed by law.
>> https://eu.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/komando/2014/12/26/keep-your-car-black-box-private/20609035/
The above link is worth a read, including a comment about installing a OBD Lock..!!

Mean while remember that the EU have passed laws for more Big Brother in car features: https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/105413/all-new-cars-to-have-black-box-data-loggers-under-eu-laws

And this info on the European eCall makes good reading: https://www.bigbrotherwatch.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Briefing-Note-eCall-.pdf

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
LOL,

There is a resident of Scotland who works for a "Service Provider", and had a Company 4x4.

He got roasted once, being told he was somewhere he shouldn't have been with that Vehicle.

Someone fabricated from Lead a smaller version of Myk's Hat above, which was shaped like the Shark Fin and painted Black.
It slid over the top of the Shark Fin and stayed there via sticky Velcro so after he had returned home from work, he would fit it and then the Company could not Track what he was doing with the Vehicle when he wanted to use it doing something he shouldn't >:D

He got fired a couple of years later when the Companies Workshops had found that the Vehicle was being used out of hours yet tracking data did not match :frown:

As time moves on from the 2014 up era, it is becoming far easier for any Tom Dick and Harry to access this Data. It is highly likely that the likes of Police and Insurers have a harder time getting access via conventional channels than a "backstreet" operative who will supply the information for £1000 ;) I suspect this is why these and other "Authorities" use smaller third party companies.

Here is a question for those of you who have bought 2016 up Cars through Retail Showrooms .....................

Did the sales person mention this at any time during the purchase process, and do you have copy documents that mention Data Capture anywhere ??

@TonyS3

It might be worth posting a copy of that 55 page pdf so interested folk here can all have a read of it and decipher between the lines ;)

However guys, take note that you do not have to have the 'ME' for this type of Data to be recorded and uploaded to Cloud.

The ability to upload all this Data is being implemented since 2016 due to the potential for Autonomy, and so one does not need to use the OBD Port nowadays to access that data !!

BTW you can add Model Year 2016 up large German Vans and Estate Cars to that list above !!

Cheers

21 - 27 of 27 Posts