Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had a search on the forum and can’t find much mention of this.... but has anyone else picked up a free Mercedes Me adaptor for their car, from the UK Mercedes dealership?

I’ve a 2008 280, so it doesn’t show a great deal, but for free, I’m very happy!!

Not sure if this is a free offer in other countries, but it’s quite cool for checking battery voltage and reminding me how long I’ve not taken it out for a spin, if nothing else!

Attachments

·
Long Time Member
3,671 Posts
Mb fitted it to mine for free at last service but I don't use it to be fair.
Battery volts is ok to see but the rest of stuff is on my mobile phone anyway , maybe they will update it with more features over time

·
Super Moderator
24,779 Posts
Mb fitted it to mine for free at last service but I don't use it to be fair.
Battery volts is ok to see but the rest of stuff is on my mobile phone anyway , maybe they will update it with more features over time
You think the company that doesn't support cars over 10 years old will support them in a free app?

·
Long Time Member
3,671 Posts
You think the company that doesn't support cars over 10 years old will support them in a free app?
well mMb hull don't do to bad for me as for MB itself why give a free plug in adapter when most of the new cars come with center screen full of apps ect.
so looking at it that way they are supporting older cars...all be it with a token gesture me thinks

·
Registered
102 Posts
I’ve had a search on the forum and can’t find much mention of this.... but has anyone else picked up a free Mercedes Me adaptor for their car, from the UK Mercedes dealership?

I’ve a 2008 280, so it doesn’t show a great deal, but for free, I’m very happy!!

Not sure if this is a free offer in other countries, but it’s quite cool for checking battery voltage and reminding me how long I’ve not taken it out for a spin, if nothing else!

I got mine last week (2012 R172). It's a Bluetooth dongle that plugs into the OBD port and (obviously) uses Bluetooth to pass telemetry to the phone, which I can live without. I don't know if it does anything else, as the newer ones are built in with a SIM and provide live traffic updates to the SatNav. The downside is that if it is connected to the phone, then you can't connect your phone via Bluetooth to anything else for calls, or I haven't worked out how to yet.

·
Premium Member
5,477 Posts
I got mine last week (2012 R172). It's a Bluetooth dongle that plugs into the OBD port and (obviously) uses Bluetooth to pass telemetry to the phone, which I can live without. I don't know if it does anything else, as the newer ones are built in with a SIM and provide live traffic updates to the SatNav. The downside is that if it is connected to the phone, then you can't connect your phone via Bluetooth to anything else for calls, or I haven't worked out how to yet.
I have an ME adaptor which I have used in my SLK55 for 2 years. I have no trouble using my phone to make and receive calls simultaneously with the adaptor also connected to my phone . What phone are you using?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have an ME adaptor which I have used in my SLK55 for 2 years. I have no trouble using my phone to make and receive calls simultaneously with the adaptor also connected to my phone . What phone are you using?

It's a Samsung. I'll have another go later, as I may just have been not very bright.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had the adapter fitted to my R172 at my local dealership and I’m very happy with it. I like the trip details and the voltage monitor too, plus it didn’t cost me a penny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,724 Posts
I’m booked in for my second (A) service with this car on Monday including brake fluid replace, covered by my Service contract.
Had a phone message from MB Bristol yesterday to confirm service appointment and to say install of Mercedes Me was showing on my service schedule and did I want it? If so register and download App prior to arrival, plus bring proof of ownership etc.etc.....
I’ve done that, but.....I’m in two minds about this, is it a nice new gadget or not really worth it?
Also what about alleged tracking of your driving I’m a bit concerned......
TonyS

·
Super Moderator
24,779 Posts
I’ve done that, but.....I’m in two minds about this, is it a nice new gadget or not really worth it?
Also what about alleged tracking of your driving? Having pulled 120 (kph obviously.....) on the M4 recently I’m a bit concerned......
TonyS
The tracking was a hot topic during the Scottish tour.
A couple of the group had heard reports of a high speed car journey having it's details passed from MB to local police in the UK. No idea if that's fake news, or not.
I didn't search because I am not going down that route myself.

From member comments, there is a year when all the features are available.
Before that it has limited use.

I think 2013 is in the full use, but have a look first.

·
Premium Member
1,724 Posts
The tracking was a hot topic during the Scottish tour.
A couple of the group had heard reports of a high speed car journey having it's details passed from MB to local police in the UK. No idea if that's fake news, or not.
I didn't search because I am not going down that route myself.

From member comments, there is a year when all the features are available.
Before that it has limited use.

I think 2013 is in the full use, but have a look first.
Myk
Any further info on fake news re tracking from the Scotland trip members? I’m sure I know them!
They can pm me.
Or from them here if they read this?
TonyS

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Bear in mind: Why would a car manufacturer give something away for free..??

Had a phone message from MB Bristol yesterday to confirm service appointment and to say install of Mercedes Me was showing on my service schedule and did I want it? If so register and download App prior to arrival, plus bring proof of ownership etc.etc.....
Also what about alleged tracking of your driving? I’m a bit concerned......
TonyS
My R172 has "COMAND Online" which should start ringing alarm bells when the cars data can be accessed remotely via the ME App - Especially as it doesn't need My phones data connection to transmit its location, as shown here: (Luckily I'm up to date with My payments..!!)

Reading these Mercedes ME T&C's: https://shop.mercedes-benz.com/en-gb/connect/service/terms-and-conditions/

It does say:
"> 2. Furthermore, Mercedes-Benz Customer Solutions GmbH may process Customer's personal data, which it receives in connection with the provision of the purchasing contract for the protection of Mercedes-Benz Customer Solutions GmbH's justified interests (assertion, exercise or defence of legal claims), for the protection of the data and/or information processing systems required for the provision of the contract or for the fulfilment of the legal obligations, and may provide such data to third parties (in particular government authorities)
"> 3.The Customer’s data will be stored for the duration of the contractual relationship and will subsequently be retained in conformity with the legal commercial and legal tax record-keeping requirements. "

I'd take the above statement to mean that the Police and possible Your Insurance company could request the cars data after You departed the road & made it half way across a farmers field..??

But would that data be in stored the cars on-board "Black Box" or on MB's data Cloud...??

So the question to put to MB UK HQ is what exact data are they able to collect from the year of Your R172 SLK/SLC....???

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts