DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co. is officially extending production of its GT supercar for two additional years. The initial run included 500 GTs, with 250 being built a year at a facility in Markham, Ontario.
Ford said it received 6,506 completed applications for the first 500. The car is expected to be priced around $400,000.
Acceptance, but more commonly rejection, letters for the first round of GTs started popping up in late July.
“While we can’t build enough Ford GTs for everyone who has applied, we are going to produce additional vehicles in an effort to satisfy more of our most loyal Ford ambassadors,” said Dave Pericak, global director at Ford Performance, in a statement Friday. “We want to keep Ford GT exclusive, but at the same time we know how vital this customer is to our brand.”
Now that production has been extended, Year 3 production will go to applicants who were placed on the wait list, Ford said.
Applicants who already applied only need to update their request.
Additionally, previously deferred applicants and those who missed the initial application window will be able to apply for Year 4 production when it opens in early 2018, Ford said.
Of the accepted applications, 87 percent currently own a Ford vehicle and 69 percent own a previous-generation GT, said Raj Nair, Ford's vice president, product development, and chief technical officer, in an interview on the automaker’s employee website.