Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought LED footwell lights to put underneath the dashboard in the driver and the passenger side. Each LED strip has ground and power and i was trying to figure out where can i find a car's power wire to connect the LED light wire to.

If anyone knows what should i connect the power wire to would be much appreciate. Thanks!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,391 Posts

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
If you tap into the fuse box at the side of the dash, it will be a constant on.

If you tap unto the cigarette lighter or the 12V power outlet at the passenger footwell, then it will only be on when ignition is at position 1 or 2.

·
97,391 Posts
Eddy's the man!!

·
97,391 Posts
does that model have a 12v in the footwell? don't remember if my 320 did

·
Registered
320 Posts
Wouldn't you want to tap into the power for the regular overhead interior light? That way the foot wells will light up when you open the doors and such - like proper interior lighting.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wouldn't you want to tap into the power for the regular overhead interior light? That way the foot wells will light up when you open the doors and such - like proper interior lighting.
^ this.

The led's won't pull much, and this sounds like what I'd be shooting for :tu:

·
Registered
29 Posts
^ this.

The led's won't pull much, and this sounds like what I'd be shooting for :tu:
So where would one find this wire? Is it labeled nicely somewhere? :biglaugh: I don't think so. I'd like to do something similar someday. Lots of cool things to do if you know where to find stuff.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I did this in my golf mk3 VR6 when i was like 18 but if i remember i had it connected up to the remote wire on my radio so when ever my sound came on so did the lights...Was more for show than anything else. Should be easy to get to the remote wire, You can search for it where the amp is located under the floor of the passenger seat. Power should be easily accessable from the amp wires too. Hope this helps some what.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Apologies for the necro-revive but I was wondering what ended up happening? I want to add lights to the footwells of my car, but I don't know where/how to connect to the dome light. Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered 2004 SLK200
6 Posts
Does anyone have a link to where I can buy footwell lights? :D

·
97,391 Posts
Does anyone have a link to where I can buy footwell lights? :D

here

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
3,085 Posts
Hi @Benji

It's a bit of a dead thread you're asking in, but you may want to look at the work I did to add footwell lighting and then start your own thread in the R171 General Discussion forum to revive the subject..

My thread is here:

Let me know if you need any further help.

·
Registered 2004 SLK200
6 Posts
Thank you both, will have a look!

·
97,391 Posts

·
Premium Member 2003 SLK320
103 Posts
Well Sarge is the reference for ALL the different light bulbs in all SLKs good enough for a sticky in one of the technical areas or is there a way to combine the threads, I assume you are referring to 170/171/172 forums, or point all light bulb posts to a specific area?

·
97,391 Posts
Well Sarge is the reference for ALL the different light bulbs in all SLKs good enough for a sticky in one of the technical areas or is there a way to combine the threads, I assume you are referring to 170/171/172 forums, or point all light bulb posts to a specific area?

my bulbs replacement/location/type threads are stickied in each section r170/171/172
any additional links are always welcome
i do believe i put the mbmedic links in them...but i am old so might have em in a separate thread
never a problemo

1 - 19 of 19 Posts