Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UK non AMG foglight bulb type?

I'd like to upgrade my fog lights so that they match the factory bi Xenons and LED parking lights.

When I unlock the car I see nice crisp white parking lights, but yellow fogs.

So after a quick search online it looked like the fogs were 9006/HB4 (UK non AMG car).

I subsequenlty bought this kit 9006 Aftermarket HID Kit thinking that the best way to get the xenon look is to fit real HID Xenons.

But it doesn't fit.
The way the bulb locks into the foglight housing seems correct, but its too small.

On the image, the twist lock part that the arrows point to needs to be about 10mm bigger.

what type of bulb do I need?

thanks!

·
*Premium Member
2007 SLK55 AMG
3,633 Posts
Its a H7 in the 55 but the manual should tell you. There is a * on the relevant page showing which type you have. There have been a few people asking about this subject.
The other thing is Pop into Halfords with your bulb and ask if they know/have a replacement.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,

The manual says the standard fitment on the r171 SLK is HB4. For cars with cornering lights, i.e. 55 and 350, H7's are used.

I've done a little more research and it seems the H7 plugs into an adapter (that makes it look like a HB4 bulb), this then twist locks into the housing.
Couple of pics attached to illustrate.

Unfortunately the adapter isn't compatible with HID's, but you can get an adapter!

2 PCS H7 Xenon FOG Head Lamp Base Adapter Holder Conversion KIT FOR BMW E39 | eBay

I'll update this when it arrives...

Attachments

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
11,537 Posts
@nick9one1, if you're looking for H7 bulbs that get rid of that yellow look, then try out the link in my signature for superwhite (non-led) bulbs. Although I think that listing may now have ended, it'll show you what you can look for to replace the standard H7 halogen bulbs with something that's much whiter, and has no issues with canbus errors. Here's what my car look like at night when I unlock it, with these bulbs fitted as fogs (the sidelights are LED):

:D

Reactions: 55russamg

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Dave. I did see the superwhites on eBay, but wasnt sure. I've already ordered the H7 HIDs and adapter, but will order a set of the superwhites too.

I suppose I might fit them in the high beam even if I don't use them for the fogs. From what I understand the r171 is bi-xenon, but of you flash the high beam its a couple of extra H7's that light up as HIDs don't like being switched on/off quickly.

·
*Premium Member
2007 SLK55 AMG
3,633 Posts
Thanks Dave. I did see the superwhites on eBay, but wasnt sure. I've already ordered the H7 HIDs and adapter, but will order a set of the superwhites too.

I suppose I might fit them in the high beam even if I don't use them for the fogs. From what I understand the r171 is bi-xenon, but of you flash the high beam its a couple of extra H7's that light up as HIDs don't like being switched on/off quickly.
I have fitted some Daybreakers to my High Beam

·
*Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
1,893 Posts
Thanks,
I've seen the daybreakers and heard they're pretty good. But as the H7's beam on HID's are only used when flashing the lights (normally the HID provides the high beam light) The cheaper bulbs should be enough.
Not on my 55. Datacard says 'Bi-Xenon', but high beam is H4 whether flashing or constant. I have 80w white bulbs fitted...

I have regular H7/55w in my fogs. They are opted as DLRs via my Smarttop settings, but in foggy situations, I prefer the more yellow colour, which seems to be scattered less by the water droplets.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not on my 55. Datacard says 'Bi-Xenon', but high beam is H4 whether flashing or constant. I have 80w white bulbs fitted...

I have regular H7/55w in my fogs. They are opted as DLRs via my Smarttop settings, but in foggy situations, I prefer the more yellow colour, which seems to be scattered less by the water droplets.
Hmm I need to test this then...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I haven't yet, but it makes sense that they aren't bi-xenon. I looked up replacement OEM bulbs, and they're single filament.

I might fit the aftermarket HID's to the high beam. and the superwhite H7's to the fogs.

·
*Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
1,893 Posts
I haven't yet, but it makes sense that they aren't bi-xenon. I looked up replacement OEM bulbs, and they're single filament.

I might fit the aftermarket HID's to the high beam. and the superwhite H7's to the fogs.
You might fail the MOT if you go that route. There are strict conditions relating to HIDs - and they're easy to spot, due to the ignition delay. And you wont have a flash mode, as you've discussed already.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You might fail the MOT if you go that route. There are strict conditions relating to HIDs - and they're easy to spot, due to the ignition delay. And you wont have a flash mode, as you've discussed already.
Good point, but you could say the same for 80w's - they shouldn't really pass an MOT, but would be more difficult to spot.

I've never had an issue with after market HID's and the MOT before, but if I do it shouldn't take more than 10 mins to swap back to bulbs.

I can still flash, its just not too good for the bulbs.

The adapters have turned up, they fit really well.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the plot thickens..

the superwhite h7 halogens look good, much whiter than they were. The are a very close match to the factory xenons.

6000k HIDs fitted to high beam look great too. Unfortunately they only match the 6000k sidelights not the fogs or the OEM HID's.

I've also noticed my OEM HID's don't quite match each other, one is slightly more yellow. I guess the bulb must have been replaced at some point.

So, I've ordered some 6000k D2S bulbs for the OEM HID's. Hopefully the colour will then be matched on the high beam, sidelights and dipped beam.

I'm going to order a second HID kit for the fogs. 80w H7's, or nightbreakers are 15 quid. The aftermarket HID kit
is the same price.

the adapters worked well with slight modification. They are slightly too big, so just takes a couple of minutes removing a bit of plastic with a file (in picture).

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.