Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foglight advice

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  dbgrn 
#1 ·
I was really impressed with the look after fitting LED sidelights/DRL's (W5W's) into the headlight unit. The problem now is that the foglights are halogen (orange/amber) which looks awful when the side lights are on. I have searched allover the net to find a difinative answer but cant see anything that says this is definitive.
I would like to change the foglights from halogen to LED. Whilst there are LED bulbs that are supposedly error free and a straight swap i am not so sure.
Can anyone clarify that i can do a straight swap for LED lights, i believe the fitment is HB4.

Thanks guys

#3 ·
#5 ·
someone will respond when they check in :D
never seen any external/exterior leds that did not need a resistor to be error free. Internal/interior, yes but not external.

#7 ·
Fog Lamp LED

For some reason, on my 55 anyway (Also VW/Audi), there is a problem with Fog LED lights.
I have tried two types from a Dealer who is very good.
He gave me Resistors etc even though they are 'Error Free' but nothing works, the LEDS just Flash very slowly.
I have now put some cheap Super White Halogen Bulbs in.
I have LED side lights and LED Indicators both of which work fine.

The Right side has an Orange Cree LED
Below is the LED Side light and Side light with DRL

Attachments

#8 ·
Hi search ebay for hb4 led 80w and one of the listings will be shown as William bulbs. The supply company is linnaonline in Hong Kong I think. The bulbs are 19.99 gbp and are supplied with resistors which get hot so be careful where you mount them. The bulbs are a direct fit and are absolutely 100% perfect. I know because I've just fitted them. Sorry I can't post the direct link but I'm on my mobile. Hope that helps.
BTW they aren't cheap but they are very very good.

#9 ·
Thanks for the replies so far, I have seen the 'white' halogen bulbs which is my second preference. The hb4 led 80w which Geoffo mentioned are of interest but there are 2 things that worry me, 1 is the heat which could damage whatever is behind the bulb (possibly wiring) and also i dont think these are street legal.
Its good advice so far, thanks

#10 ·
Hi leewalker first they are Street legal as the beam spread doesn't change. if you go for any halogen they will always be yellowish I've tried the so called whiter bulbs....they aren't. Regarding the heat issue I made a small bracket which I fixed to an existing screw point,there are plenty and this keeps the resistor well away from any wiring. Really if you want that led look which matches my xenons then it's the only way to go. They are excellent.

#11 · (Edited)
@leewalker63 Lee, I have the superwhite bulbs fitted in my foglights. They're not quite a perfect match for my LED sidelights, but they're certainly much, much closer in colour than the original halogen bulbs were:

Also, before you order your bulbs, please make sure what type you need... After wanting replacement bulbs for my foglights, I checked an online manual, and it suggested I needed HB4 bulbs too. However, once I ordered them and tried to fit them, I found out that I actually needed H7 bulbs instead! This might be specific to my AMG foglights, so HB4 might be right for your car... just wanted to suggest that you check to be sure.

In the meantime, if you do need HB4s, and if you'd like a pair of superwhite bulbs, I have a pair of them sat on a shelf and no use to me whatsoever! I'm in Leicester Forest East, so please feel free to PM me if you'd like them! :tu:

Reactions: 55russamg
#15 ·
Hi dbgrn, thanks for the offer of the bulbs, I think i could do with your input as you seem to be wise on this subject. My car is the SLK200 with sports package and AMG styling, so i dont know if i need AMG or standard. Maybe if i came over to you, we could compare the front end. If it turns out the bulbs are HB4 I would be much happier to pay for the bulbs if im honest. Also it would give me the chance to have a look a more advance model with a few mods.
Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.