Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
Almost one year ago, June 13, 2010, I sustained a crack at the right side fog lamp and noted the glass finally came off some time this week (noticed after car wash today). I've bought the replacement fog lamp assembly from SLKstore and also from David (Davids88keys) in anticipation of the eventual need.

I did the replacement this afternoon, thanks to pmartel's excellent tutorial (pdf attached) and just wanted to add a few points/tips:

1. After initial removal of the black-fog-lamp-grille-with-chrome-ring assembly, clean the painted area with moist microfiber to remove dust and mask the painted area before proceeding to remove the actual fog-lamp with the four T-20 screws. This is to prevent minute scratches to the paintwork around the fog lamp, esp. the lower border, as the metal frame and attached adjustment screw may do this. Remove the masking tape after replacing the fog-lamp but before re-attaching the black grille surround.

2. Apply bulb grease to the flat metal prongs of the H7 lamp before attaching the red and black blade connectors. This will ease their removal at a future date.

3. The plastic tie should be at least 11 inches long. I prefer a contrasting colour as opposed to black and happen to have yellow handy.

4. Apply 303 Aerospace protectant or similar product to the rubber shroud to prevent it from premature wear and cracks.

5. Have a Shop-vac with the narrow attachment handy/ready, to clean out debris that may be trapped at the front of the auxiliary engine oil cooler/radiator-fins.

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.