Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered 2008 SLK280
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I have been looking for a high quality / low cost door speaker replacement. I found the Focal IS200 component speaker set on Ebay for $150 US and free shipping. It has a 1" inverted dome tweeter and an 8" driver. The 8" driver fits like a glove in the factory speaker pod with just a bit of dremel needed on the front side to accommodate the larger speaker magnet. I surface mounted the tweeters in the factory tweeter housing, the Focal Tweeters have a similar grill on them so they look almost factory. I hope this helps someone trying to locate a better sounding alternative to the OEM speakers.
IMG_0621.jpeg
IMG_0622.jpeg
IMG_0624.jpeg

·
Registered 2006 SLK55 AMG
208 Posts
Sorry for the duplicate pictures, I'm new at this.
Good stuff. I'm currently wrestling on making similar changes. If I could ask a few questions:

Did you change the midrange speaker as well? I've seen posters here place a Hertz 3" mid. in the pod.

First I've seen of a Focal 8" in the pod. I've seen mostly the Audison Prima 8 placed and was considering the same. But would prefer Focal.

Is the pod you worked with the HK pod or the Audio20 pod.

What is your amplifier situation.

Are you happy with the Focal's and the tweeters?

Thanks.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
95,095 Posts
i can't find a HK deal on focal website...that is why it was on ebay i guess

·
208 Posts
Can harman kardon be replaced with a setup like that?
I've read, I believe it was nitro28 on his 2017 set up, that said that while Audio 20 speaker pods can be cut for aftermarket speaker replacement, the HK pods are molded differently and cannot be used for aftermarket speakers. So he found Audio 20 pods on EBay to use.

I would love it if he was incorrect. But that is what is holding me back from replacing my blown HK door speakers with aftermarket speakers. I therefore think I'd need custom pods built...I'll soon be talking with custom installers to see what options I have.

I am under the assumption that the Gateway amp cannot drive better(higher rated) aftermarket 4 ohm door speakers(and the rears). So a new amp could be necessary.

·
Registered 2008 SLK280
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good stuff. I'm currently wrestling on making similar changes. If I could ask a few questions:

Did you change the midrange speaker as well? I've seen posters here place a Hertz 3" mid. in the pod.

First I've seen of a Focal 8" in the pod. I've seen mostly the Audison Prima 8 placed and was considering the same. But would prefer Focal.

Is the pod you worked with the HK pod or the Audio20 pod.

What is your amplifier situation.

Are you happy with the Focal's and the tweeters?

Thanks.
I did not change the midrange. The Focal setup is designed to be an upgrade from OEM but not their top of the line, hence the price and the ability to fit them. I am pretty sure coax Focal will sound better than triaxial stock. These are a lot less expensive and I am never expecting audiophile quality in a convertible so I am trying to be realistic with cost.

This was the Audio 20 pod.

I could run them with deck power, I am installing a Kenwood head unit as well. I just happened to have a Rockford Fosgate Punch that is new in a box. I bought it years ago and sold the vehicle before I could install it. I am going to use that for power.

I am documenting this as I go so I have not heard them yet. I am happy with the build quality and materials. I will keep you updated as I progress.

·
Registered 2008 SLK280
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can harman kardon be replaced with a setup like that?
I don't know for sure. I believe the pods are the same since the doors and door panels look to be the same. I assume they just have different speakers installed which, if that is the case, it should. I will defer to other members to confirm these thoughts.

·
208 Posts
You did not post pictures of your pod(s). If they are 171-820-04-02 and 3-02 they are HK pods.

Not 100% I believe that Audio 20 pods end in 1-02.

·
Registered 2008 SLK280
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ISU200 is the newer model. I was running a saved search for IS200's and when they came up at that price I bought it now. There are deals to be had for sure.

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG & 2006 Kleemann 55K S8
911 Posts
Not a bad find! It is interesting that they do not appear to sell that woofer separately. I think you are going to be missing a little bass as they fall off hard below 80hz, but they need to so they can fill in the mid range since there are only the 2 speakers. It should still be a very nice upgrade from the audio 20. Here is the data sheet on the woofer for anyone interested:

If you are missing bass several people have added an 8" powered sub with good results. There is an install of an 8" Alpine that looks great on this site.

·
Registered 2006 SLK200
41 Posts
Hi, the OEMs come with a cross-over which feeds the three speakers with the right frequencies and drives them properly. How have you gotten around this with your replacements? Last year when my original garage replaced the speakers - as they were blown - they ripped out the crossover and put a woofer in and that was that. It completely ruined the soundstage with a ton of midrange. I went to MB and had brand new replacement modules put in and that cured it. Have you put cross-overs in the door panel or behind the centre consol to save all speakers receiving the same signal and making it all midrange??

·
Registered 2008 SLK280
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi, the OEMs come with a cross-over which feeds the three speakers with the right frequencies and drives them properly. How have you gotten around this with your replacements? Last year when my original garage replaced the speakers - as they were blown - they ripped out the crossover and put a woofer in and that was that. It completely ruined the soundstage with a ton of midrange. I went to MB and had brand new replacement modules put in and that cured it. Have you put cross-overs in the door panel or behind the centre consol to save all speakers receiving the same signal and making it all midrange??
The Focals have a passive crossover from tweeter to woofer. I wired my amplifier output to use the stock wiring to the doors then ran it to direct to the woofers. Hopefully that will do it. I see on the stock woofers there is a passive crossover there and a base blocker on the factory tweeter. I hope what i am planning will work. I will let you know soon.

·
Registered 2008 SLK280
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So you are correct. I tried using the stock wiring and it sounds the same or slightly better, not anywhere near good enough to justify the cost of the speakers or the work involved to install them. I am not sure if running dedicated lines is the answer or just live with it. I honestly mainly wanted maps that work and phone functions that work. I have those now so maybe I should cut my losses and live with it. Thanks for your knowledge.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts