Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
*Registered
2006 SLK350
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 SLK350 (automatic)

Didnt see a 8-9" puddle, went through at about 10 mph and stalled. :|

• Managed to give it gas while cranking about 8x and got it out of the pudding.
  • Vehicle will start but stumbles and stops as soon as I take my foot off gas (will not idle).
  • With foot on gas will stumble (without cutting off) up to 3,000rpm. Past 3,000rpm no stumble. Releasing foot from gas immediately kills it.
  • Check Engine light on. No other gauge indicators.
  • If I start it giving it gas and immediately brake and shift to 'D' it will go for the initial press of the gas but subsequent presses have no pressure to pedal with very intermittant movements in rpm but not past 2,000rpm.
  • While attempting to crank while still in puddle thick smoke coming from exhaust. No smoke from exhaust since. Smoke coming from radiator after a bit of testing driving it.

Not sure if the water made it up to the intakes and therefore into the engine. Do not know which electrical connectors hang lot enough to have been exposed to the water. All electrical systems function properly.

Great thing about this site is it will filter out commentors speculating about other vehicles. Looking for vehicle AND situation specific advice/input. Mostly looking for locations of electrical connectors and air intakes that may have been exposed to the water. Would also be greaaat if someone had a under-car angle diagram!

Thanks in advance!

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG /2005 SLK350
6,162 Posts
What's an angle diagram?

What codes are behind the check engine light?

There are transmission and o2 sensors pretty close to the scene of the crime....

·
Founding Member 2006
108,830 Posts
you can see O2 sensors here

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
You sure it was only 8-9"? I've been under mine many, many times and cannot remember anything that would cause the symptoms you describe.
Check your oil via dipstick and see if the oil is discolored or water droplets on the stick.
Now I may not pressure spray my engine compartment. Skeerd to do it.

·
*Premium
2006 SLK280
1,236 Posts
Start with pulling the error codes causing the check engine light, they usually provide a very specific place to look for the problem.

Now I may not pressure spray my engine compartment. Skeerd to do it.
I personally think a pressure washer has the ability to do more harm than good. IMO, a degreaser, some scrubbing and a gentle stream of water is a much better bet.

·
*Registered
2006 SLK350
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is EXCELLENT! I remember when I changed my oil there was some electrical connector hanging down but it was disconnected. Other than that I saw nothing under there. Unfortunately this was more toward the front of the vehicle so I never looked in the area of your pictures. Big help!

·
*Registered
2006 SLK350
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It may have actually been more than 8-9. I say that because today I went to it and rubbed the flooring and it was wet. I couldnt see any of that last night in the dark and rain. It also was still wet in the door frame/step so....

Anyway I did check the air filters and they were soaked and the oil has the consistency of blood (mostly water but with some thickness). So yeah water got into it. Had it towed to repair shop.

Thanks for you guy's help. I may come back here and update once I have more info and/or resolution.

·
Registered 2006 SLK280
1,274 Posts
This is probably going to become very expensive for you. Ingesting water is bad, Bad, BAD. Since water doesn't compress, a slug of it into a cylinder will result in a bent rod. This happened to my old 190E 2.3-16, before I owned it, from a similar situation: Driving down a flooded street, only in the case of my Cossie a lifted pickup truck came plowing through in the opposite direction throwing an enormous bow wave. The result was a bent rod and the owner spent $4000 (back around 1995) to replace one piston and all four rods. Replacement engines for the 350 are about $12,000.

·
Registered
140 Posts
It may have actually been more than 8-9 inches. I say that because today I went to it and rubbed the flooring and it was wet. I couldnt see any of that last night in the dark and rain. It also was still wet in the door frame/step so.....
Did you know that all of the wiring (including CAN BUS) which runs from the front to the rear of you car does so in conduits under your carpet? And if you carpet is wet then the wiring will also be wet?

Given this, and the possibility that your engine has also ingested water I would say that you car is pretty well stuffed. You might get it "running" again, but it will likely have recurring problems for years to come.

Where I live, irrespective of whether the car can be repaired, the regulators would forever ban your car from being road-registered again. It's a limited parts car only. See following extract :

A vehicle that is immersed in fresh, salt and/or brackish water to the extent that the internal cabin water level rises above the level of the inner door sill for any period will be assessed as a statutory write-off. If there is evidence at a VIV inspection indicating that a vehicle has been immersed to this extent, the vehicle will fail the VIV inspection and is not eligible for registration in Victoria. Very limited components from water immersed vehicles may be used to repair other vehicles, given the likelihood of corrosion and lack of future serviceability.

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/reg...-off-vehicles/repairing-a-written-off-vehicle

I think you should read your insurance policy in the hope that maybe it will allow the car to be written-off and for you to collect in full. Proper repairs are going to be very expensive, and the repair work will likely not stand the test of time.

·
*Registered
2006 SLK350
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I just saw the claim update with an updated estimate. They took it to a mercedes authorized dealer where the mass air flow sensor and both air filters were replaced and thats it. So my concern is that if water made it as far as the air filters why would it not make it into the cylinders? Why did they not change the spark plugs oil and oil filter? Am I missing something? They said they did an engine diagnostic but how would they be able to check for that with a diagnostic? Seems a little half-hearted to me. Please someone tell me I am wrong.

·
Registered 2006 SLK280
1,274 Posts
+1 on speaking to the technician, and asking them why they didn't pull the plugs and take a look inside. Any liquid seen in there is not good. As for water passing beyond the filters, it depends on how much water got in there in the first place. If the filters were completely flooded, as in water came gushing out of the filter housing when it was opened, then there's a good chance liquid water made it past the filters and could have been ingested. If the filters were wet, but didn't gush water when the housing was opened, then the filters absorbed whatever quantity made it that far. Attempting to run the engine would have resulted in some of that water getting sucked through, though not as a slug of liquid. Manifold vacuum would change the vapor pressure inside the filter housing, and water vapor would constitute a larger proportion of the charge air going into the cylinder. Since it's in the vapor state, it's compressible with the rest of the air, but there could be enough of it that proper combustion isn't possible. That would mean a misfire and fault codes, but not serious mechanical damage to the rotating assembly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.