Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2001 SLK 230. The regular key works fine. The buttons on the flip key all work (lock/unlock/panic) but when I turn it in the ignition it will either not start the engine or start the engine and immediately turn off.
Any one know what is going on?
Thx

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
What do you mean when you say regular key? I have a 2003 320 with both original car keys, and they are flip keys-they do not have "valet" keys hidden in the bottom. Is that what you are referring to? the valet key works, but the flip key doesnt?

·
Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
14,713 Posts
I think I heard of this before, but can't remember where so I googled it. This is what I found, hope it helps.

When the car starts and dies it could be a sign of a faulty key. If the key is not recognized by the drive authorization system it will start and die like this. I suggest you order a new key from the dealer or have the car connected to the Mercedes tester to check the computer for drive authorization fault codes.

http://www.benzforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15158

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170-slk-class/1471616-key-causing-car-not-start.html

·
Registered
287 Posts
The key fob has an RFID chip in it that is read by the ignition switch module, it must be within a certain distance to be read or the car will not continue to run after starting (theft deterrent). The chip could be dislodged or damaged. The previous owner could have replaced the fob with one from Ebay (or somewhere) and not transferred the chip to new fob along with the key and circuit board. You could open the key and see if the chip is there or go to a dealer and have him check it. There are some threads on the forum about changing fobs that have pictures of the chip and board locations.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx and Solved

Yep, the missing RFID chip was in fact the problem. I looked at a thread on this forum about replacing the fob and saw a small brown chip (RFID) on the pictures that mine doesn't have. The previous owner thought it just needed batteries.:hail:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.