Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· *Registered
2008 SLK280
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried to find an appropriate existing thread to post my question on but all the results seem to be older conversations with a note suggesting not to add to a long-dormant chat, hence this new topic...

As seems to be quite a common occurrence amongst SLK owners, I've found a leak in the boot of my wife's SLK280, identified by water in the spare wheel well and a sizeable puddle in the driver's side indentation next to the moveable roof separator.

I traced at least one leak down to the top of the flexible hose on that side of the boot, which I tried pushing firmly into place without any apparent improvement. My question, therefore, is what would be the best fix for a leak in that spot? Are those flexible pipes / hoses replaceable at a reasonable cost or would I be better off using something like a jubilee clip (photo attached as I'm not sure whether they're called something else in other countries) to tighten the seal?

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Jewellery Auto part Font

· *Registered
2008 SLK280
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Avel Du - Thanks for the feedback Myk. When you mentioned cleaning the hoses and the fittings with propanol, did you take the hoses off to do that? I noticed that the hose is ribbed in certain areas, which seems to be designed to control how it folds / stretches when the roof opens, so I think an improvised alternative would probably not behave correctly. Thank you also for the link to the links page - that'll be very useful. (y)

@LeonardoDaBenz - The possibility of crushing the plastic fitting was also one of my concerns with using a jubilee clip Len. After I made my post yesterday, it occurred to me that a cable tie / zip strap might be a good option to improve the seal of the hose without the risk of overtightening, so I think I'll try that as my next step...

· *Registered
2008 SLK280
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for that info @JustinC71 - very useful.

Amongst the various things I checked at the weekend, I think I did try pouring water into the drain hole in question to check that it all appeared under the car and all was well, but I will double-check that.

· *Registered
2008 SLK280
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a similar problem which I've traced to the bottom hoses on mine being blocked. Problem is that the current temps mean that all of the water/crud in the bottom hoses is frozen solid so I have no chance of trying to clear them until it warms up !

I replaced the flexible hoses on mine (thinking it was an age related leak - i.e. they are cracked) but that didn't solve my issue so I traced it to the bottom hoses being blocked. Once I have sucessfully cleared them then I'll be putting the Hylosil on each end of the new flexible hoses.
From what I could see, there was water weeping from the top of the driver's side hose (the passenger side was bone dry) but I didn't really check the other end, so I'll try and delve into the recesses of the boot to do that too!

Are the hoses just a simple push / pull fitting or is it more involved than that?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts