Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
*Registered
1997 SLK200
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I want to ask, how to fix my instrument cluster.
Sometimes it works , and sometimes it does not. Checked the Fuse which is 7.5A. Checked the motherboard also. Checked the pins.
Is there any module or something which can make bad connection?

·
*Registered
1998 SLK230K
285 Posts
Be more specific, fuse has number!
The IC has many things that can go wrong including 15+ bulbs. Is it dark, are the needles not moving, is the odometer visible?
Motherboard...I can guess the circuit board of the IC. Did you set the plastic with the copper tracks well when assembled it?
The IC shows data from plenty of modules and it could be all of what you mentioned.
Pictures and video (not easy with the video) do help.
The search engine can help with a specific problem. You just need to be able to formulate it.

·
*Premium Member
2007 SLK55 AMG
612 Posts
No more simple old fashioned backyard wrench guy
Now need a phd in computers, software and electronics.

·
*Registered
1997 SLK200
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is Video
Checked all the fuses (under hood -2 boxes and near the driver) and relays 1 by 1, and they work, could it be caused by the battery, or by the bulbs, 2-3 bulbs are missing (they are for the models with more extras as i know and as i checked) and 2 bulbs are dark. The funny part is that - when i park early at the morning at my work, sun heat the car whole day, and i think if it is heated it randomly works... , if i stop the car, and i start the engine again - it stops.
Photos
Plastic with the copper tracks is very well assembled and reassembled. I am system administrator from more then 20 years, so i work well with wires and circuits. Haven`t checked any voltages yet.

·
Founding Member 2006
107,864 Posts
google says

You need access

·
**Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
6,439 Posts
Reactions: BaD_81

·
6,439 Posts
I can't see photo's ;)

Reactions: slk55amgbob

·
*Premium Member
1997 SLK230K
653 Posts
@slkr170fan , you now have 3 threads running, which is going to confuse matters. As far as I know the K40 does not affect how the instrument panel works, but someone may well correct me. Anyway, you probably need to start looking at circuit diagrams. They are there under the DIY section for the R170

·
6,439 Posts
you now have 3 threads running, which is going to confuse matters. As far as I know the K40 does not affect how the instrument panel works, but someone may well correct me. Anyway, you probably need to start looking at circuit diagrams. They are there under the DIY section for the R170
Absolutely 100% agree with all that :)

K40 doesn't have any bearing on KI, but it may prevent Motor and ABS / ESP Transmitting Data to it !!

And even though your shot of the PCB misses the vital points I reckon from what I can see that PCB has dry solder joints ;)

Reactions: M4rCu5 and Rofa

·
*Registered
1998 SLK230K
285 Posts
... prevent Motor and ABS / ESP Transmitting Data to it...

And even though your shot of the PCB misses the vital points I reckon from what I can see that PCB has dry solder joints ;)
I wasn't able to make it to that details, but the purple-ish colour if the copper "rope" that connects the chassis of the relay with the contact "bud" surprised me.
The other thing is the colour of the connector plugs D3, C5, A(3/4) yes they are the one with a bit more load so they do heat up more. But the K40 is pretty ... naked let's say.
So, is it diagram and multi-meter time or re-soldering for the peace of mind?
This one looks like a hair-thin crack but angle light ...

Attachments

·
6,439 Posts
I just can't be assed to mess around with them these days, especially so if it is a customers Car .................
I just buy brand new from MB circa £160, then I won't need to revisit it again for another 17 - 20 years ;)

A lot of guys slag them off, but they don't think properly, they are all a minimum of 17 years old ;) Or they have been replaced with second hand / chinesium parts ;)

I did pro actively reflow the main joints on my V8 R170, but K40 was still working OK, if ever I get an actual issue with it I will bin it and fit new ;)

Reactions: M4rCu5 and BaD_81

·
*Registered
2009 SLK300
15 Posts
Hello,
I want to ask, how to fix my instrument cluster.
Sometimes it works , and sometimes it does not. Checked the Fuse which is 7.5A. Checked the motherboard also. Checked the pins.
Is there any module or something which can make bad connection?
By any chance does your radio also misbehave? The dashboard power bus is a big hub connecting everything. Any power problem somewhere else that communicates with your dash can cause problems. My radio was wonky so I replaced it with after market. Not only does the Benz now have Android Auto and Apple play, but the dash power issues also went away.

·
6,439 Posts
R170 Electrics / Electronics are way more primitive than 2009 Models ;)
I suspect your Car's faulty H/U was dragging down the body CAN, which R170 doesn't have.

R170 Powertrain CAN is connected to ICM (KI).

The only other "CAN" on R170 is a "private" comm line strictly between PSE and CCM ;)

·
*Registered
1997 SLK200
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Problem solved with new used dashboard from slk 230 automatic(i got handshift), and hell yeah, they are compatible.No need to reprogram nothing.Thank you all!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts