Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I have searched all through the forums for anything like this but no luck. My 2001 SLK 320's passenger door stopped locking and unlocking with the key fob. Then I noticed a humming noise coming from the area of the PSE when i hit the lock/unlock button. I thought, no big deal, i'll just lock/unlock it manually for now til I can figure it out. Then a few days later the trunk lock stopped operating.

So, I tore the PSE out of the trunk. At first I thought the motor was going out but the driver door still works just fine and i can hear the motor running when i push lock/unlock.

Is it possible there is a leak in the line to the passenger door?

Thanks for the help everybody.

Premium Member 2001 SLK200K, 2001 SLK320
It is possible but only only if it's been ruptured somehow. i.e. if for instance the heatshield underneath was loose and someone put a large self tapper through the floor and went through the pipe inside the car .. ask me how I know lol. Those nylon pipes are pretty much indestructible otherwise.

They have been known to separate from or to leak at the door actuator but then you mention the boot lock as well .. now I may be wrong and it's only a guess but I think there's two chambers in the pump and if that's the case, the front chamber would be for the drivers door and the rear chamber for the passenger door/boot lock .. there may be a seal in the pump that's shot .. only a guess 馃

- THIS - is what can happen :censored:

It's easy to check the actuators and the lines tho'. Disconnect the lines from the pump and blow into them to lock/suck to unlock, it only takes a couple of lbs of pressure to do either. In order to do that, I extended my lines with a few feet of silicon vac pipe that I kicking about otherwise I'd have had to clamber inside the boot 馃檭 .. a biggish syringe also works well and something called a Mighty Vac has also been mentioned elsewhere ..

HTH

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much M4Cu5. I checked through all the fuses and they were all good. I did manage to narrow it down to the passenger door lock. I can hear and feel air coming out from there so I am hoping the connector either came off or cracked and I can either re-attach it or epoxy it to seal the leak. I will have to tear the door apart this weekend and see. The trunk lock does seem to work most the time though.

Does anyone know if the trunk and the passenger door are on the same line/chamber?

I will have to tear the door apart this weekend and see.

That's what I did when trying to trace my leak and the door card fell to bits .. had to laugh 馃檭

Does anyone know if the trunk and the passenger door are on the same line/chamber?
.. If indeed it is separate chambers or some sort of fancy piston mechanism instead, this is where I'm purely running on theory having never pulled one down that far but as the first press of your keyfob operates the drivers door line + fuel filler cap door actuators, second press brings the others into play .. makes some sort of sense

So .. a diagram in the attached .pdf for you, have fun working it out :coffee: (y)

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
That's what I did when trying to trace my leak and the door card fell to bits .. had to laugh 馃檭

.. If indeed it is separate chambers or some sort of fancy piston mechanism instead, this is where I'm purely running on theory having never pulled one down that far but as the first press of your keyfob operates the drivers door line + fuel filler cap door actuators, second press brings the others into play .. makes some sort of sense

So .. a diagram in the attached .pdf for you, have fun working it out :coffee: (y)
Thanks so much! I'll update as I progress through it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Found the problem, the hose broke off the connector piece on the passenger door. Does anyone know the part number for this? And is there a specific hose I can use to extend the original air line as the piece broke off inside of it and I will need to cut/shorten the airline to fix it?
20200201_163051.jpg

Aah .. now that's a relief of sorts, at least it's not the pump. I used some silicon vacuum pipe that I had kicking about to rejoin/extend mine but I can't remember off the top of my head if it was 3mm or 4mm internal diameter, you just make a sleeve and slide it over the yellow stuff. Other people have had success with aquarium hoses.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Aah .. now that's a relief of sorts, at least it's not the pump. I used some silicon vacuum pipe that I had kicking about to rejoin/extend mine but I can't remember off the top of my head if it was 3mm or 4mm internal diameter, you just make a sleeve and slide it over the yellow stuff. Other people have had success with aquarium hoses.
[/QUOTE
Only problem is, the connector broke off inside the yellow hose so there is nothing to slip a hose over on the connector side...

Registered 2002 SLK320
@slkninja

Quote:- Only problem is, the connector broke off inside the yellow hose so there is nothing to slip a hose over on the connector side...

Go to a breakers, (wreckers) yard and cut a few off to keep in your tool box ;)
If you were in UK I'd post you a couple.

I use superglue when I sleeve joint them ;)

HTH,

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Thought about the junkyard but I'm in Hawaii and there's only 8 or 9 of these cars on the whole island so I probably won't have much luck finding another SLK for parts here

Registered 2001 SLK230
Found the problem, the hose broke off the connector piece on the passenger door. Does anyone know the part number for this? And is there a specific hose I can use to extend the original air line as the piece broke off inside of it and I will need to cut/shorten the airline to fix it? View attachment 571529
You could try removing the broken gray vacuum connector and connect the yellow line to the vacuum lock with a piece of rubber vacuum hose. Just leave the broken piece inside the yellow line. You might find a rubber elbow connector at an auto parts store. You'll probably need to clamp the rubber vacuum hose at both ends.
Just a thought.

vacuum connector for door lock.jpg

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Here's another idea to repair your broken vacuum connector.

View attachment 571550
View attachment 571551

View attachment 571552

View attachment 571553
Thank you so much! I will have to head to the auto parts store and see of I can get some hose today. Will keep you guys posted as to how I remedy this issue. Would love to just get a replacement grey connector and extend the yellow hose but finding the part number seems to be a challenge...

Registered 2001 SLK230
Thank you so much! I will have to head to the auto parts store and see of I can get some hose today. Will keep you guys posted as to how I remedy this issue. Would love to just get a replacement grey connector and extend the yellow hose but finding the part number seems to be a challenge...
Try this part number: A202 800 04 53

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Try this part number: A202 800 04 53

Thank you so much! Now I have to decide if I want to wait to order that part or just use epoxy and a WD40 straw! lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts