Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG w/P30
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help, please ......

Just received my Fiaam air horns (triple) by mail order from Germany. Made in Italy, sold from Germany and received in the UK - how's that for international cooperation :)

Really this is a bit of a nostalgic exercise as I used to have a set of Maserati air horns on my first car back in 1968. I always wanted Fiamm, but the Harry Moss Maserati badged ones were cheaper and I was still a poor schoolboy!

Now all I have to do is find somewhere to install them without deconstructing the front of the car too much.

This post from @Wrangler in the 'What did you do to your SLK today?' thread really struck a chord. I had a set of Harry Moss air horns on my A35 back in the 1960s! On a whim, after reading his post late one evening, I e-mailed RKL Signaltechnik in Germany, and now have a set of Fiamm Air horns sitting in my garage.

Now comes the comes the confession. I have had (and still have) a Ford Manager's company car) for 40 (yes, Forty) years - now changed every six months - and I have not needed (or been allowed) to do much 'tinkering' for a long time. Now I have a new SLC and I am a bit reluctant to 'deconstruct' too many body panels to access the OE horns to replace with the Fiamms.

The most recent post from @Wrangler provides clear advice for fitting to his R171, but I have not been able to remove the panels inside the SLC bonnet/hood to access the horns. Are there any workshop manual instructions, or can anyone out there offer me advice?

Hope you can help
DaveR.

·
Banned
974 Posts
Help, please ......

This post from @Wrangler in the 'What did you do to your SLK today?' thread really struck a chord. I had a set of Harry Moss air horns on my A35 back in the 1960s! On a whim, after reading his post late one evening, I e-mailed RKL Signaltechnik in Germany, and now have a set of Fiamm Air horns sitting in my garage.

Now comes the comes the confession. I have had (and still have) a Ford Manager's company car) for 40 (yes, Forty) years - now changed every six months - and I have not needed (or been allowed) to do much 'tinkering' for a long time. Now I have a new SLC and I am a bit reluctant to 'deconstruct' too many body panels to access the OE horns to replace with the Fiamms.

The most recent post from @Wrangler provides clear advice for fitting to his R171, but I have not been able to remove the panels inside the SLC bonnet/hood to access the horns. Are there any workshop manual instructions, or can anyone out there offer me advice?

Hope you can help
DaveR.

Memory lane for me to as in the 1960's I bought a set of twin red coloured air horns with Maserati label on the top of the compressor. They were fitted to the Sunbeam Alpine I had at the time & then on very company car from 1972 until the mid 1980's, AND they never failed to work. On buying another Alpine in the mid-1980's they were duly installed with the compressor in the engine compartment & the trumpets out of sight between the grille & radiator. They were operated by installing a second floor mounted headlight dipswitch. Before handing the car over to its new owner Andy White of some group called Oasis I removed all my added extras, cassette tape machine, bespoke boot suitcase, clock, ammeter, tonneau cover etc BUT FORGET TO REMOVE THE DARN AIR HORNS. Now with another owner I see the car at shows & the compressor & trumpets are still there.
Being without air horns for various modern sports cars that followed the Alpine I purchased Fiamm & they all failed after a year or so. The last set I put on a Honda S2000 but cannot find anywhere on the SLK to fit them, in any case the standard horn is loud enough.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
27,184 Posts
I don't think that there is a manual as such.

One of our more informed members might be able to produce an MB diagram.

An this a guy who said he wouldn't be playing.
Addictive aren't they?

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG w/P30
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
An this a guy who said he wouldn't be playing.
Addictive aren't they?

Yes, I know what I said when it was only about a week old....... I keep dropping hints to Carol about a SmartTop as well!!

You're right, at last a car that's mine - though it's still difficult bringing myself to wield the first spanner!

Looks as though I might have to rig the air horns up as an alternative to the door bell on the house -- I really don't fancy removing the whole of the front-end (I think I recall a post front @Judge Ming (?) suggesting that that job was a 3hour/4 hands operation).

Surely we have some MB workshop guys out there who know the definitive answer and hopefully will share it with us.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
27,184 Posts
The guys are on the site.

I can remember DAS/STAR folk but don't remember the tech guys for the R172 with certainty so can't do a mention, sorry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.