Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitted Sprint Booster to R172 SLK 55 AMG

10K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  LeonardoDaBenz 
#1 · (Edited)
Finally bit the bullet and fitted this.

I've heard nothing but good things about it over the years from people who have actually fitted it to their cars - and a lot of baseless rubbishing from those that dismiss it as a useless gimmick.

It's basically a throttle pedal remapper - www.sprintbooster.com. I bought mine from profusion customs on ebay for £179.99 plus £5.99 delivery - took 2 days to arrive.

The car feels like it has more power, and more urgency - it just feels "better" and ties the car together better than the stock throttle map does. You can select between 3 modes - normal and 2 faster programs.

The actual unit is very small - as is the controller unit. The controller comes with 120cm of cable. There is also a double-sided adhesive pad and a cable tie in the package.

Installation was a doddle - literally a 5 minute job.

Added: The seller said this does not affect insurance, but I spoke to my insurer and they increased my premium by 10% - so it's best to make sure.

- - -

To Install:
Remove key from ignition and wait 5 minutes. Remove the two 13mm nuts to the left of the throttle pedal.

The pedal will now lift off - just be careful of the wires.

Remove the plug from the connector by pressing in the grey clip at the top.

Plug in the sprint booster to the pedal socket, then plug the original socket into the sprint booster.

I found it easier to thread the controller in reverse, so threading the white end behind the steering column, and behind the plastic hook under the dash.

Plug the white clip from the sprint booster control to the white socket on the sprint booster unit.

Then I pushed the cable under the plastic trim next to the transmission tunnel and fixed the controller to the tunnel with the supplied adhesive pad.

Refit the pedal and fasten the two 13mm nuts.

Added: the controller doesn't need to be permanently wired to the main unit - it can be used to set the preferred mode, then disconnected and it will default to this mode when the car is started.

- - -

On starting the car I got a warning about the tyre pressure monitoring not working and traction control being off and the throttle was in limp-home mode.

I restarted and it was all good.

I believe this was due to my pressing the pedal whilst I was doing the install - I've read that this can confuse the car's computer.

One other weird thing is that the led on the controller has a blinking/flashing/strobing faint led when it's supposed to be off. I looked online and this seems to be normal, but it was a bit freaky to see it doing that.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice DIY Paul! I have Piecha's version and it remains one of my favorite modifications. It does make a difference. The car just feels like a sports car with it!

FYI, Piecha's "Intermedia Power Converter" (their version of a Sprint Booster) has settings 1-10 (I think) with 10 being the most aggressive. On Piecha's advice, we set it to either 5 or 7. Since there is no need to make any adjustments, I hid it behind the center console at the floor so no one can see it.

#3 ·
Interesting about the way the Piecha works.

The SB controller doesn't need to be permanently connected - you can set it to the preferred mode and then remove the cable completely and it will default to the last setting.

If I end up just using one program then I'll disconnect the controller, but at the moment I quite like the difference between stock and the 2 modified programs.

#4 · (Edited)
The SB has been fine since I fitted it - until yesterday. I was pulling out of my driveway and the TPMS error and limp home throttle resurfaced. That really wasn't fun as I have to pull onto a main 60mph A-road just before a blind bend, and having the throttle all but disappear was a brown trouser moment.

I'm going to refit the connector to make sure it's not some kind of poor connection.

added: I checked the connection and couldn't see anything wrong, so I've removed the SB for now and will see if I get the tpms thing again. If not, then I'll get the unit replaced.

#5 ·
I removed the sb and had no issues. I contacted the manufacturer in Greece and they agreed to replace it, and said there is a new 2-part version, which arrived today. Given how tight the original unit (see pic with ruler) was to the bulkhead, I have high hopes that this will be a better solution even if just for that reason.

Attachments

#7 ·
I want to see if I have one of these fitted and if I do, remove it. I have a really sensitive spot about mid throttle that ends up with a 'pilot induced oscillation' type effect. hunting revs with foot bouncing slightly on the throttle, basically a positive feedback loop. Only way out is to hoof it harder which is not always an option or back right off.

#8 ·
I've been without the SB for some time now as the car went in for a service and then went back in to have a rattle sorted etc - so today is the first time in ages that I've had chance to give it a really good run.

I'm finding that in sport-auto mode, the SB in green mode makes it a bit too twitchy in slower road/town driving - constantly changing down a gear at the merest hint of a thought about applying more throttle. Much less of an issue on wide open roads.

Really enjoyed giving it the beans in manual mode with the SB set to green today though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.