Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, fitted the satin black covered stainless steel wheel arch covers/protectors,
decided to be a little rough with the rust bubbles and grind them down, kurust them, then a little underseal should stop it for a while, then nicely cover the whole thing up with these.
I know most people don't like them as I don't like the chrome ones, the black ones match my stripes :) but I think it is better than rusty arches showing and it is to expensive on an older car keeping ahead of it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK200K
10,745 Posts
They look quite good and do go pretty well with your stripes !

Seems a quick and fairly cheap fix to your rust problems and as you've "treated" the rust underneath as you say, it should hold off for a while ..

Another possible solution for others, who don't like eiher the matt black or the chrome finish, might be getting a can of spray made up in your cars colour from Halfords or likewise and spraying them before fitting.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They look quite good and do go pretty well with your stripes !

Seems a quick and fairly cheap fix to your rust problems and as you've "treated" the rust underneath as you say, it should hold off for a while ..

Another possible solution for others, who don't like eiher the matt black or the chrome finish, might be getting a can of spray made up in your cars colour from Halfords or likewise and spraying them before fitting.....
That is a good idea, I didn't think about doing that, something I could do when I want a change.
They do have a rubber lip across the top that wouldn't take the paint so I would have to take it off while I sprayed them and replace it afterwards. Not sure what the fit would be like without it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have used those wheel arch covers in the same fashion on other cars as you have on your SLK.

What I have done before is to wrap them in automotive grade vinyl before mounting them. I have used carbon fiber 3d vinyl in matte black and matte red finishes to very good effect.

Good 3M grade vinyl lasts about 5 years in a harsh outdoor environment, takes winter weather quite well, and is very easy to replace if it gets nicked or scratched. In my case the 3M vinyl has been more durable than a painted surface. It is less susceptible to fading and maintains it's appearance well.

I'll try to attach a pic that is representative of the vinyl wrapped wheel arch appearance.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have used those wheel arch covers in the same fashion on other cars as you have on your SLK.

What I have done before is to wrap them in automotive grade vinyl before mounting them. I have used carbon fiber 3d vinyl in matte black and matte red finishes to very good effect.

Good 3M grade vinyl lasts about 5 years in a harsh outdoor environment, takes winter weather quite well, and is very easy to replace if it gets nicked or scratched. In my case the 3M vinyl has been more durable than a painted surface. It is less susceptible to fading and maintains it's appearance well.
I'll try to attach a pic that is representative of the vinyl wrapped wheel arch appearance.
Now that looks good, even with the rubber edge showing. might get a spray can made up now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The 3M vinyl is a sheet good with an adhesive backing. It cuts with a razor blade or scissors. You peel a paper backing off the film while holding the vinyl film in place and then press the film to activate the adhesive coating.

There's very little prep aside from cleaning the surface to which the vinyl will applied. There's no drying or curing time and the parts can be remounted immediately.

It's inexpensive as well. Material to finish four wheel arch covers will be under $10US.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.