Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,029 Posts
Forget "fitted bags". Duffle bags work much better & they are cheaper. They swish down, you can push them around. I drove from SW Florida to Mass. for 3 weeks with my trunk loaded: 2 duffle bags, camera equipment, a small sewing machine, small cooler, etc. Doing it again this summer. What a blast !! Of course the top can't be down until I get there

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Rick, we bought a normal medium side case and fitted a couple of smaller bags each side, with the roof down. The boot is bigger than you think. My wife and I did a 10 day European Tour like this.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hi Rick, love those bags. I bought a set of 3 from the same company for an A170. They completely filled the trunk with no wasted space and the top came down. One of the bags sat in the collapsible spare wheel to keep all the loose bits together, small tools and cloths etc. If you need to get the spare out they are easy to unload. I still have those bags but unfortunately they don't fit in the A171. Must sell them on eBay and buy the ones in your link.:smile:

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I must admit I haven't tried using duffels with this car, but in my last roadster I had the ability to use fitted bags strapped to the trunk for extra space- my wife doesn't know how to pack light! Can't do that with this car, so I have to maximize my usable space. Fitted bags seems to me the best way to do that.
Rick

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,285 Posts
Rick, I have the bags in your first post, and I think they're great. They're surprisingly large, and can get quite heavy when they're packed tightly though! Trying to encourage your good lady to pack lighter would be a good option, if possible... and if you ever succeed in doing that, please me know how you managed it! :wink: :grin:

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
I also bought these for a recent trip to Cornwall. They are not semi-rigid as it appears in the Amazon photos, but they are well shaped for the R171 boot. One bag is slightly shallower than the other due to the lip in the boot floor. But my wife and I easily packed enough (and then some) for a week away. They also leave a small amount of space either side that you can fit a satchel, briefcase or other small items in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I like these bags alot, we have a couple of road trips planned this year so these would be perfect for us. Time to ask the Boss what she thinks 😀

1 - 11 of 11 Posts