Mercedes SLK World banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
2,544 Posts
I surely missed ignition switch test. I’ll go back and review your advice.

Key in run position always has noise from throttle body area but can’t remember if fuel pressure regulator always does or it was after relay contact. At work now, so another 10 hours before I’m under the hood again for update.

Spare ignition in the column has a 10mm bolt with a clamp that i loosened, but appears there is another form of attachment holding it in the column. Looks like an easy plug/swap if it wasn’t still in the column.
It's not that easy (of course it isn't) .. the Ignition Switch is secured by 3 screws which are an absolute PITA to get to, yet another job that involves middle-aged men getting into positions that they shouldn't really be getting into 🙃

As @Dave2302 has just said, pull the harness plug and test the wires first

Ignition Switch.jpg

·
Premium Member 2002 R170 SLK V8 5.0
4,165 Posts
pull the harness plug and test the wires first
NO I mean leave it plugged in and test the wires for power in the various Acc, Run and Cranking Positions using a test lamp, thus verifying Switch, we can get on to wiring later, we have a backlog of stuff to check on this one ;)

I hope OP doesn't mind, I can always easily cancel / delete this, but I know we have some decent techy minded SDS owners in USA on BW so I dun-did this ..............

Ya just never know who lives nearby ;)

I don't :ROFLMAO: cos my USA (and other) Geography is :poop: 🤣

HTH ;)

Reactions: M4rCu5

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
2,544 Posts
NO I mean leave it plugged in and test the wires for power in the various Acc, Run and Cranking Positions using a test lamp, thus verifying Switch, we can get on to wiring later, we have a backlog of stuff to check on this one ;)

I hope OP doesn't mind, I can always easily cancel / delete this, but I know we have some decent techy minded SDS owners in USA on BW so I dun-did this ..............

I don't :ROFLMAO: cos my USA (and other) Geography is :poop: 🤣

HTH ;)

Ahh right, gotcha (y) ;)

·
Registered 1998 SLK230
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #65

I don't :ROFLMAO: cos my USA (and other) Geography is :poop:

HTH ;)
Every wire in ignition switch works as expected in correct position. Small violet wire only light up the test light when key is turned to start/crank position. Wires all solid and terminals clean. Every fuse on the diagram works. K40 gets power and all fuses work in there. I did not test power to pulse, illumination modules and steering angle sensors as I don’t know where they are but don’t expect them to be the issue.

The attached picture show where the 1 violet hot when starting wire goes, but not sure where to find to insure power gets there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
4,165 Posts
(y) Thank You, I will help anyone I can, I have an absolute hatred for garages that just take folks money and give them a load of bull :poop: and usually wrong opinion on what they "think" is faulty.

Something else creeps in here too, even if the Garage is good with MB's they may not understand an R170, it's Drive Authorisation and Cranking Circuits are unique and unlike any other MB's ................
As I found out when I did my V8 Conversion on my R170, I have to admit I made a lot of assumptions before I actually got to grips with it, and now I even know exactly how it works when I'm asleep 🤣

That Violet Wire goes to the Pulse Module, have you downloaded the PDF Wiring Diagrams from the Forum ?

I'll do this one more time, but if you need any more these Diagrams are on the Forum in the DIY section, see I can't upload PDF's to Forum, I have to look them up on my workshop server, then Print, then Photo then upload the Photo to Pix Host, then paste the link in my Posts ...............
So I'm not nit picking, that's why I gave them to the Forum so guys can look them up 24 /7 ;) ...................

Starting Circuit .................

click to enlarge ;)

/\ /\ /\ see that Pink Red wire, that too should go hot with Ign Switch in "Cranking (Start) position 3" did you test that one yesterday?

From the WD above I'd say they are separate Contacts in the Ign Switch
;)

These Mitchells are oh so user friendly compared to the Mercedes abominations that they call Wiring Diagrams, you should check Powers and Earths are getting to Pulse Module, DAS RF and ME ECU ;)

Have you done the press Relay test with assistant yet ?
I was thinking probably easiest to actually press all 4 of the relays at the same time, which was the purpose of the 4 wire by pass test which failed ;)

Here's a thing, those Connectors on Pulse Module and K40 are like a metal post on the Modules and a "C" Shaped Connector inside the Wirings Plugs, it is easy to unclip the "lids" on those plastic connector plugs, and good practice when fault finding to take them out of the connector plastic block one at a time, photo them too so you know exactly where to put 'em back, then carefully close the gap in the C with needle nose pliers to make them tighter ;) That will eliminate a bad connection at these Modules.

Also have you checked the Connector Blocks and just maybe if you have one, that Crash Relay, all shown on the above WD ;)

Remember, only use a test Bulb on power circuits ;)

More to be getting on with ;)

HTH :)

·
Registered 1998 SLK230
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Did not get all tests done, but I do have the wiring diagrams in my computer and print as needed. All voltage tests done with light.

Pink red is a separate ignition switch post. It’s powered in both position 2 of key and stays on in position 3. Found the module under the fuses on the other side. Relay in there works with 9volts, all fuses tested, cleans and put back in. Power junction has 2 live terminals at all time and 2 that are livevat key position 2. Pink/red and solid red into module are good with power. I did not figure out how to in-clip the fasteners or test the violet out with key in position 3. Not enough hands or long enough test wire yet. Seems power is getting to that module, just need to verify out put. Also need to trace ignition output to ecu

All k40 relays function with 9 volts. All 4 pressed gets the items under hood functioning but the relay opposite the hurt relay seems to do nothing. No sounds anywhere when triggered. I’ll test violet output and try to test other wires into that module tonight.

·
4,165 Posts
All 4 pressed gets the items under hood functioning but the relay opposite the hurt relay seems to do nothing. No sounds anywhere when triggered.
Were you able to Crank it with those 4 relays pressed, and did the Fuel Pump run ?

If that K40 has a bad Relay, or some other part of it's circuitry, at this stage I would buy a new K40, (from MB, not EBay tat), it's gonna need one soon even if it doesn't right at this very moment, so not money wasted, but you might just get a pleasant surprise and find that actually fixes the issue and she starts right up ;)

Also once you've done that, if you then get SDS sorted I repeat my offer .......................

I will be able to take a look via Team Viewer for you ;)

HTH ;)

·
4,165 Posts
Ah OK, sorry, I expect I read that here somewhere, but I've slept since then 🤣

Well it's certainly looking like a Wiring issue then, best check the power and earths to ME ECU next ;)

Any sign of rodents ??????????????????

·
Registered 1998 SLK230
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #72 (Edited)
Sds is here. Went through quick test. Final results attached. Seems clear the n15/3 is faulty. All other diagnostics seems to at least be ok. Stop light switch says fail. Replaced it, but still fails.

Make sense the n15/3 replacement is the next needed step ? I tested E2 on k40 like it said and it had needed voltage. So answered yes and got faulty n15/3 again. End of the road tonight.
View attachment 587675

·
4,165 Posts
Hi,

Great news, seems like you are getting on with the SDS OK ....................

Enlightening isn't it, and well worth the money :)

I see your Car is a 1998, which IIRC has an earlier TCU, (ETC), to the later Cars like mine that have EGS 52 type module.

The later ones require you to use SDS to check and alter the Version Coding, which is about the only Module on this era Car that doesn't do this in plain English, it is one that requires SCN Coding ...................

SCN is a long string of numbers which, you can copy and paste from the Old to the Replacement Module, unless of course the ETC is not communicating :(

Now, if this applies to your earlier controller, (IDK), I don't have the Database for the earlier ones to tell you what numbers to type in, I only have EGS 52 Database, so my advice would be a good used Module with exactly the same part number, which comes off exactly the same Car and Year as your own, otherwise it is MB Dealer time, and I doubt they will even do a used module for ya :(

HTH :)

·
Registered 1998 SLK230
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Hope the coding is not needed. If anyone knows, that would be helpful. I did learn quite a bit last night and practiced with a lot of “actuators” to check functions. I know the transmission communicates what the gear selector is in and a few others tidbits that all seemed ok. Cleared pse and alarm codes now I have a functioning pse.

·
4,165 Posts
Coding has to be checked because even a TCU with same part number may have been on a car with a different set of ratios etc, that's why I posted ;)

HTH

·
Registered 1998 SLK230
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Found matching part number used unit. There is a 5 digit I’d right above a small bar code that does not match? Relevant?

Took it all apart, cleaned all connections reconnected still same, but did notice sds ask me if I wanted to transfer ETC coding to new console module, so maybe I could do it if needed.

·
4,165 Posts
Not really relevant.

Yes the Transfer Coding to new unit is the option, glad you've found it ;) I'll make a pro outta ya yet ;)

Therefore you can widen your search to any TCU which is listed compatible Part Number for your car in EPC program ..................

(There will likely be part number revisions) so any one of those that is suitable for your VIN will be fine if you code it ;)

If it's the same Part Number as one listed you don't need it to have come off same Car, IIRC a W220 p/n is same as a 4 Cylinder SLK, just SCN Coding is different for ratios etc, so it will work fine as long as ya code it ;)

·
Registered 1998 SLK230
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
About done with this car. Removed, cleaned etc connector due to sds saying it faulty. Put back in, hooked up battery and fault does not come back. Here is quick test main page. One F. Go into it and it only lists stop light failure. That switch was previously replaced, but still does not work. All egs diagnosis show ok values being read when following diagnostics. Still no hint of engine cranking. No notice on display about crank error. No other faults in sds. What is going on?

Attachments

·
4,165 Posts
What does the Drive Authorisation data show in SDS "Actual Values" at RFL and ME Modules ?

Not all R170 display a "Start Error" in their Dash Cluster.

Obviously you have now fixed the TCU issue, time to move on now and use your SDS to work the problems one by one ;)

A drive Auth Issue doesn't show as a Fault F , c'mon that'd be toooooo easy ;)

If it doesn't Crank and therefore doesn't Start first thing to check is "Drive Authorisation" ...........

You see, logically, it will not report a fault, for all the Modules know, you may be trying to steal the Car with parts that don't match, i.e a different Key etc...............

On a MB and many many more Cars that are rolling computer networks you have to think like the Car thinks ;)

·
4,165 Posts
I'm almost tempted to see if you would rather spend SDS money on a "ECU / Key(s) / DAS RF Module matched set" from another Pre Facelift 230 and plug 'em in she might just start up then ...........

Like this one :- MERCEDES SLK 230 1996 - 2004 ECU A0285457832 IGNITION LOCK IMMOBILISER KEY | eBay

However check the ECU Part Number is the same as yours, or listed in EPC as a suitable update. Get one from USA as well as I think the Keys use dirfferent RF Frequency for the C/L

Note that you can swap the key blade from your existing key to the "new" fob so you don't need to change all the locks, just plug in the ECU, and DAS RF Module put Key in and she should start and crank
/\ /\ /\ From 2 months ago ;)

61 - 80 of 84 Posts