Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just completed the first upgrades on my wifes R170 1997.
The "plan" was to replace the headlights and Grill to give it a more up to date look.
But once i'd removed said items i decided to check out the small rust bubbles on each wing just where the wing meets the bumper.

I removed the bumper and inner wheel arch guards for better access , what a mess ! the wing mounting plates where rotten and it had started eating through the wing from inside (see pics) terminal i'm afraid, so in the best "bodge it" tradition i put it all back together and decided to put up with the minor blemishes till it looks real bad and then bite the bullet and get both wings replaced.

Alot of work for nothing but at least i know what to save up for next and the wife loves the new look .

Attachments

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
That is a common problem, when you start taking older stuff apart you can run across all sorts of unknown 'issues' along the way. For the most part my cars are all new right now, but I currently have two older motorcycles, so I'm still fairly well versed on finding surprises when I take things apart to try and 'fix it up just a wee-bit'. But none the less, at least you know what you have to do at some point and you can plan accordingly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Couldn't agree more

That is a common problem, when you start taking older stuff apart you can run across all sorts of unknown 'issues' along the way. For the most part my cars are all new right now, but I currently have two older motorcycles, so I'm still fairly well versed on finding surprises when I take things apart to try and 'fix it up just a wee-bit'. But none the less, at least you know what you have to do at some point and you can plan accordingly.
Like you i have an interest in motorbikes too, i completely restored an old Triumph Tiger 750 a few years back but at least i didn't have to spend hours trying to get at the things i wanted to sort and to be honest that was a much more enjoyable experience , as the wife wasn't waiting to ride the bike !!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wing mirrors next !

Wow the new headlights and grill look great; it's like a whole new car!
Thanks for the comment its always nice when someone appreciates your hard work. Well hard for me in any case as the wiring connectors did not match and with the wing flapping around it wasn't easy getting a good fit .

Next is to fit wing mirror upgrade , there similar to yours with the arrow style indicator on the back.

I know it'll never be a new model but with such a vast array of aftermarket kit available we can have it the way we want it and still enjoy it for what it is .

·
Banned
801 Posts
Don't even think about rust on a nearly 20 year old car. I guarantee it has lots and lots of it in places you just don't want to look!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts