Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys :)

So I need to change the tyres that were on the SLK when I bought it... Not because of mileage but because of the AGE of the tyres according to my insurance company... The car HAD Pirelli P7s on.

Anyhoo...

I have 16s on my SLK 200, 205x55 and 225x50.

I have been reading the threads on the forum as well as the reviews on tyrereview.co.uk and trying to decide on my options.

For me importance is road noise, comfort and mileage... My car is unlikely to ever see a track, although I do partake in some "spirited" driving now and again when I can ;) I live in Johannesburg South Africa, which means I'll never (hopefully) need a snow tyre and we dont really have "wet weather", mostly short thunder storms in summer, so I believe a summer tyre is fine.

I like the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo. Can anyone give me personal feedback regarding comfort, road noise and mileage?

The Conti DW and DWS dont seem to be available here, so I only have access to Premium Contact, Sport Contact etc.

The salesman at the shop I'll be buying the tyres from recommended Michellins... I am unsure whether he genuinely believes they're the best bet or because they're the most expensive ;)

Anyway, feedback would be highly valued as always!

Thanks guys! :bannana:

·
Registered 2008 SLK55 AMG
1,564 Posts
I have Hankooks all around now [Ventus V12]. I cant see the difference from Eagle F1s on normal driving and spirited rural driving. A great deal cheaper too!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response guys.

Seems the store messed up, we do not get the V12 in 16"s in the country sadly... So... No chance for me there! They can offer me a Ventus Prime K105... Any feedback on those?

Otherwise they recommend Yokohama A drive or a Michelin Primacy HP (also the most expensive of the lot).

So it seems the options are:

1) Yokohama A drive
2) Michelin Primacy HP
3) Hankook Ventus Prime K105

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
I'm probably no help, but I stuck with the Pirelli P7 tyres. They seem to work well enough and not deadly expensive either....

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
I just purchased the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec's in the sizes you listed. I am thrilled with them. Not sure if they are available there. Might be worth a look.

Another one I looked at was the Bridgestone Potenza RE-11

I don't think tirerack . com will ship to you, but they do offer great information. Good luck!

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Do they have Michelin Pilot Super Sports?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
An update here guys...

For anyone interested, I decided to go with the Michelin Primacy HP in the end. My immediate thoughts are that road noise has decreased slightly and the car feels much better under hard braking.

Obviously I have no idea as far as mileage goes, but I've made a note when the tyres were changed and will see how long it takes for them to wear down.

I'd say they're a definite upgrade over the stock Pirelli P7s the car had on, but we'll have to see how mileage goes.

The rear Pirellis had done 18,750 miles and still had some tread (a little over 4mm IIRC).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts