Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first posting on this great site since I obtained my SLK at the beginning of April this year. After some considerable time searching I found my dream car with pretty much the exact specification I wanted. It's a 2010 R171 model in white with red, heated seats with airscarf and paddle shift gear change on the steering wheel. It has the Comand APS multi media unit and the Harmon Karden speaker system. Unusually for a car of this age I brought it at the main Mercedes dealership in Crawley, West Sussex. I think that because it was such a well specified car they put it on their forecourt after taking it in part exchange for something else. Overall I've been very pleased with it but I do have a couple of questions that I've not had answered by the dealership so I thought I'd put up an initial question on here to see what others think.

My first query concerns the readout on the speedometer. Obviously on the left hand dial there is the conventional speedometer with moving needle. Then in between the two dials there is a digital readout of speed. When the needle is showing speed in mph the digital readout shows speed in kph. That is all well and good. In the middle of the LH dial you also get a small display stating either “mph” or “kph”. However when the needle is showing speed obviously in mph the little illuminated display in the middle of the LH dial comes up as kph. If I change the needle, by use of menu settings using buttons on the steering wheel, so it displays speed as kph the digital display between the two dials changes to mph. That's fine but the little illuminated display in the middle of the LH dial then changes to mph. This just does not seem logical to me. I would have thought that the little display in the middle of the dial should show mph if that's what the needle is recording and kph if the needle is set to that.
I hope I have explained my findings clearly enough and I'd be interested to know if what I'm seeing and understanding is correct or not.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,460 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Florida!

owner's and maintenance manuals great R171 info:

later year owner's/maintenance/comand manuals, top right in the link below:
Bill's Den: Documents

Lube those seals:
http://www.slkworld.com/general-discussion/20937-spring-here~gummi-pflege-lube-your-seals-lithium-grease-your-joints-hinges.html#post226839

your brochure:
http://www.slkworld.com/general-discussion/167265-mercedes-brochure-archive.html#post1511249

mods you should do:
smarttop

http://www.slkworld.com/general-discussion/121481-what-smarttop-all-members-keep-talking-about.html

clear or tinted side markers
shorty antenna
led license plate bulbs
led parking lights
carbon fiber on the C pillars http://www.slkworld.com/general-modifications-r171/50849-ive-taken-cf-plunge.html
carbon fiber center caps
oem windscreen or lighted/etched windscreen

See my mod albums for more ideas

FREE GIFT! Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). If looking for a car, get the options before you buy!

http://www.slkworld.com/vehicle-data-card/67706-free-how-get-free-datacard.html

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,404 Posts
Hi and welcome to SLKWorld.com from the UK Midlands - Thanks for joining us! :)

. . . . .
My first query concerns the readout on the speedometer. Obviously on the left hand dial there is the conventional speedometer with moving needle. Then in between the two dials there is a digital readout of speed. When the needle is showing speed in mph the digital readout shows speed in kph. That is all well and good. In the middle of the LH dial you also get a small display stating either “mph” or “kph”. However when the needle is showing speed obviously in mph the little illuminated display in the middle of the LH dial comes up as kph. If I change the needle, by use of menu settings using buttons on the steering wheel, so it displays speed as kph the digital display between the two dials changes to mph. That's fine but the little illuminated display in the middle of the LH dial then changes to mph. This just does not seem logical to me. I would have thought that the little display in the middle of the dial should show mph if that's what the needle is recording and kph if the needle is set to that.
I hope I have explained my findings clearly enough and I'd be interested to know if what I'm seeing and understanding is correct or not.
If I've understood correctly, what you describe is how Mercedes have the UK-spec SLKs behave. It's different in other countries, but MB's interpretation of the requirements of cars to be able to display mph and kph means that they have the lower mfd (the lower, small multi-function display between speedo and rev counter) constantly display a digital speed readout in the opposite units to what is being displayed in the main speedo dial.

It is possible for this to be reconfigured (using the MB DAS STAR diagnostic equipment), so if yours behaves differently to what I've just described, then it may have been reconfigured somehow already.

A local forum member has DAS STAR equipment, and he has reconfigured mine so that I can switch the main speedo dial between mph and kph, and the lower mfd can either follow that speedo reading, or can be switched to display outside temp instead (I leave it permanently displaying outside temp). You might find a local indy that's prepared to reconfigure your car for you too, if you wish... If you want to ask them and provide them with instructions, see under the heading "Displaying temperature in the lower MFD" in the first post of the following thread:
Common and easy to do DAS 'tweaks'

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I fully understand that the unit of speed must be different in the circular speedo dial to the digital line between the two dials but I still don't see why, if the needle is showing speed in mph the tiny little words in the middle of the circular speedo dial says kph. That just doesn't seem logical.

·
Super Moderator 2006 SLK 280
10,832 Posts
Welcome from Northern California

Welcome to SLKWorld.com:Beer:

R) :burnout:

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,404 Posts
I fully understand that the unit of speed must be different in the circular speedo dial to the digital line between the two dials but I still don't see why, if the needle is showing speed in mph the tiny little words in the middle of the circular speedo dial says kph. That just doesn't seem logical.
In which case, I misunderstood part of what you'd written... and that shouldn't be the way it works. :(

When displaying speed in mph, the letters in the middle of my speedo say mph. It displays kph (or it might be km/h) when the speed is being shown in kph. It sounds like something might have been modified with your car in the past, or perhaps it's just not working right for some reason.

I can't suggest what might be causing it, but perhaps someone with knowledge of DAS STAR can offer some advice (and I've just PM'd someone to ask them to look at this thread for you too)...

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,460 Posts
I pm'd Seanhump. He should respond shortly

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
14,830 Posts
Hi, welcome from Barrhead, Scotland. :smile:

Hopefully Sean will be able to shed light on this for you.

·
DAS/STAR Premium Member 2005 SLK 55 AMG
4,024 Posts
Hi and welcome from sunny Nottingham

Right - the way it SHOULD work is as follows for a standard UK spec car

Needle speedo displays speed in MPH, with MPH illuminated in the dial. The lower MFD display shows the speed in KPH (due to some mis interpretation of EU laws around speedo's being capable of displaying both MPH and KPH, but I won't go into that here)

If you have the facility in the settings menu to change the speed units, the needle speedo will then display the speed in KPH, and KPH is illuminated on the dial. The lower MFD display then swaps over to MPH

I seem to recall that there was a thread about this a wile ago where someone else had the same problem

I'll have a poke around and see if I can find it, but in the mean time, I'd try (or get the dealer to do it) disconnecting the battery for 30 mins or so, and then reconnecting it - the clock, radio presets and windows will need a reset, but that may cure the speedo snag.

Failing that, someone may have been fiddling with the programming before you got it, and it might need a diags session to get it sorted out

I'll post back here when I find the thread.

·
DAS/STAR Premium Member 2005 SLK 55 AMG
4,024 Posts

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
11,789 Posts
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
27,287 Posts
Welcome from the Wirral.

Good luck with resolving your issue, hopefully without much cost.

The UK is quite active and has it's own threads and calendar:
United Kingdom Region - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum
http://www.slkworld.com/united-kingdom-region/313178-2016-uk-meet-calendar.html

This one gives an idea of what's coming up soon and how some past meets went:
http://www.slkworld.com/united-kingdom-region/377809-uk-just-joined-september-meets.html

You don't need to be an expert or have a show condition car.
Just friendly folk with a love of SLKs.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts