Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered 2017 SL400
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to admin for adding this group.

I'll throw in the first contribution. Hopefully there will be more to follow from others.

I've only ever owned 2 'sports cars'. Back in the 80's I had a late 60's (chrome bumpers) MGB GT (automatic) which was rare but I hated it. A 1600 VW beetle was quicker off the mark. As this was a weekend drive, the batteries (2x6V) were always flat when I wanted to use it and being an ex UK car it was badly rusted and needed a lot of TLC. I sold it to buy a small business. Then in 2013 I a bought a SLK (2012 R172 350) which I sold 2 years ago. After the SLK, I was always going to be driving another roadster.

I'm approaching the time when I will retire and my wife and I plan doing road trips around the UK and Europe. I'd have been quite happy with another SLK/SLC but the boss was not happy with the ride or suitcase space. I did briefly look at the C and E cabriolets that are due soon but they just don't do it for me. I also looked at the new Boxter - vetoed by the boss so I pointed out that the SL was a good alternative 0:). Financing approved by the boss, I shopped around and (as mentioned elsewhere) got a really great deal.

I realize they are not everybody's cup of tea but I like it and that is all that matters :grin:.

On order for May 2017 (hopefully) delivery - SL400

Polar white with all black interior (I've owned several cars with this colour scheme - my wife says I'm boring - I know).
Airscarf
Active seats
ABC with curve tilt (ct only works in non sport modes and is a comfort thing (not handling). Box ticked for the boss as my SLK ride was pretty hard)
Ambient lighting
Analogue Clock
Drivers Assistance Package
Reversing Camera
Cup holder (beats me why we have to buy this)
75L fuel tank (again - why not standard)
Electric wind deflector

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
14,422 Posts
I was looking at an SL400 in my local showroom, very nice. :smile:

At least you didn't have to pay extra for the windows and doors. :D

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,404 Posts
Congrats!... don't forget to come back and post some pics, once you have it. :tu:

·
Registered 2017 SL400
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congrats

Excellent decision

I bought mine 2 weeks back.

Thanks - hope you enjoy yours. Pictures?

Watch out for the sand rash!!

Delivery is confirmed for 28 March, I'm getting a little excited!!!

Changed the black leather to Bengal Red after being told by my wife, children & friends that I am boring!!

I tried to explain to them, that anyone that has a SLK or SL by definition, cannot be boring.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks - hope you enjoy yours. Pictures?

Watch out for the sand rash!!

Delivery is confirmed for 28 March, I'm getting a little excited!!!

Changed the black leather to Bengal Red after being told by my wife, children & friends that I am boring!!

I tried to explain to them, that anyone that has a SLK or SL by definition, cannot be boring.
Hi

I ran into very bad sandstorm in my first ride but luckly I was able to shelter against a wall in the middle of desert. I waited there for few hours.

I hope you will enjoy yours and we can exchange some photos and knowledge

right now I read all articles about the broom stick to have the roof open half way to lubricate and apply protecting chemicals.

nice talking to you

:smile:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I attached some images in the beginners introduction section.

I am not happy with the quality of pictures I will post when I take better pictures

·
Registered 2017 SL400
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi

I ran into very bad sandstorm in my first ride but luckly I was able to shelter against a wall in the middle of desert. I waited there for few hours.

I hope you will enjoy yours and we can exchange some photos and knowledge

right now I read all articles about the broom stick to have the roof open half way to lubricate and apply protecting chemicals.

nice talking to you

:smile:
I work in Qatar - I see lots of Saudi cars here on the weekends with front ends coated in that brown spray on stuff. The sand is really a problem. You were lucky to find shelter.

·
Registered 2017 SL400
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
congrats on the car, how much larger is the trunk space relative to the SLK with top up & down?
Thanks.....Don't have it yet (another 4 long weeks to wait - is due for delivery at the dealer on the 20th March but, I'll only be back in the UK on the 11th April).

Looking at MB web site, double the SLC with the lid open.

SLC 285L roof closed , 180L roof open
SL 485L & 364L

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,055 Posts
Looking at MB web site, double the SLC with the lid open.

Oh No!

Can you hide that space?

Twice the room to go shopping
and you'll still on get the glovebox for clothes if you go away
yet get twice as many bags to carry.

There was me thinking nice car.
Turns out it has an evil side.

·
Registered 2017 SL400
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh No!

Can you hide that space?

Twice the room to go shopping
and you'll still on get the glovebox for clothes if you go away
yet get twice as many bags to carry.

There was me thinking nice car.
Turns out it has an evil side.
It will never be a shopping trolley - might not ever see a supermarket parking lot :wink:- but the space is useful for trips - my wife does not travel light - doesn't not even comprehend the concept. We can go away for two weeks and she won't even use half the gear she takes with.

My Ideal was a SLK 55 but SWMBO was not interested - ride too hard and no space for coats and handbag in front :frown: - unfortunately >:D I had to go large!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts