Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
Following an MOT test I have had intermittent BAS/ESP light showing and very occasional ABS light too. I changed the brake light switch, no difference. Also tried the lock to lock trick many times, also no difference. I then had the codes read (of course the lights all stayed firmly off when I took the car in). Codes recorded were a few for offside rear sensor and one for steering angle. I suspect something in the MOT test triggered it so either jacking the car and loosening a wire or turning steering rapidly.

So, first step was to check the connections to offside rear wheel sensor. Now, here is my question: If this sensor had failed, would I not get ABS light as well as ESP/BAS? I tried unplugging it and the ABS light comes on too as I would expect. I don't want to change the sensor if this rules it out. I suspect more the steering wheel sensor for the main problem of the BAS/ESP and the code recorded for rear sensor being just for the brief period when the ABS light came on too.
Any info appreciated. Thanks
Dave

·
Registered 2000 SLK320
105 Posts
I've had a similar issue with the BAS/ESP light. Ended up taking it to my local MB dealer to have the codes read. £25 well spent as it identified exactly which sensor needed replacing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys

I have had the codes read as in the original post. Thing is as I have two faults, the offside rear sensor and the steering angle. Hence my question: 'Would not the rear sensor also throw up an ABS warning if faulty? That narrows down my problem as the ABS light only showed briefly, the BAS/ESP is on all the time. I'm not going to throw more money at getting codes read again. Unplugging the rear sensor puts the ABS light on too. It's a simple sensor with just two wire connection so I'm 90% sure that it either works or it doesn't . Can't see how it could work for ABS but not BAS/ESP. Just need some expert verification of that and I can get on with replacing the steering sensor.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,266 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Can't see how it could work for ABS but not BAS/ESP. Just need some expert verification of that and I can get on with replacing the steering sensor.
The 4 wheel sensors have input to ABS and BAS/ESP as well as cruise ctrl. They are all to do with wheel speed.
I had a bad sensor on the N/S/F. In the end I also replaced the yaw sensor, though the latter had stopped giving me trouble.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.